TBOL- Annabeths POV

Annabeth

She thought he was dead.

Her best friend, who she had loved more than anyone else that she could think of, was just gone. And he died saving her. He lied to her; told her that he had a plan, when really, he didn't have a clue. He just wanted to make sure she'd be okay, make sure that she got out safely and didn't get hurt. But what he didn't realise was that him leaving her would hurt so much more than getting blown up with him ever could. Because then, at least they'd be together. Wise Girl and Seaweed Brain, together as a team. She should've been more stubborn, more adamant that she went with him. But those sea-green eyes had gotten to her, made her heart melt as they had a million times before. Never did she know that she would see them for the last time on that day, when she kissed him.

After two weeks, the campers had given up looking. Chiron had announced that they could only conclude that he was dead, and that they should burn his shroud in tribute. He'd asked Annabeth to do the honours. They'd even told his mom, but secretly, Sally and Annabeth had kept the hope. They'd kept searching and trying and praying, but they had no luck. So Annabeth was standing in front of an entire generation of Half-Bloods, announcing her best friend's death.

She gulped and faced the crowd of campers. She had the speech memorised completely in her head:

"He was probably the bravest friend I've ever had. He was the one person that stuck with me no matter what, no matter how many times we fought, or how many times we failed. Sometimes, he was even too loyal to think straight, like he was the day he left us. I hope he's in Elysium now, or rebirth, because to me, he was the greatest hero I've ever known. That includes the ancient ones, like Jason and Theseus, because Percy wasn't once too proud, or too sure of himself. He was strong, but not destructive, he was smart, but not cunning. I joked around and called him dumb, but actually, he has battle strategies and plans sometimes that not even I could come up with. And I mean everything I just said, because he really was the best friend you could ever ask for, he could cheer me up at the worst of times, when things looked at absolute worst, he found a way to make the situation positive. And I wish he was here to do that today, but we'll have to do it for eachother. We owe him that much. Thank you."

Annabeth wasn't sure if she would manage all of that without breaking down, but she felt as if she had no tears left to cry. She'd cried herself to sleep for the past weeks, and she sometimes visited the Posiedon cabin for comfort. It smelt of the ocean, which reminded her of the boy that could've been - if she'd been more obvious - her boyfriend. That only made her feel worse, so she stopped going.

Now, she stood before the entire camp, all eyes on her and the shroud. She was shaking. Her vision was blurred, but she wouldn't cry. Not yet.

"He was probably the bravest friend I'd ever had." Why was she doing this? She couldn't do this to herself. Her eyes wandered the audience, and she saw a flash of black hair. She was probably hallucinating... "He-" she stopped short. There was definitely someone there. It was a boy, pale, skinny, green eyed and smirking, looking extremely curious. And very cute. Her breath caught. "He's right there!" Everyone whipped around, and someone shouted:

"Percy!" She couldn't place who it was. Annabeth felt like she was underwater; there were voices shouting, cheering, saying stuff, but it all sounded like a jumble of words.

Annabeth shoved her way past everyone, until Percy was right in front of her. Words tumbled out of her mouth, shouting, cursing. The conversation wasn't even registering properly in her mind, and she was just yelling. Eventually, relief took over and she just threw herself at him and squeezed as if she'd never let go. She wanted to cry with joy, but everyone was already staring, so she fought against it.

"I-We thought you were dead, Seaweed Brain!"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he whispered over and over again, his voice quiet and broken.

She didn't reply, not trusting herself to speak.

Everyone was looking at them, Chiron was waiting, and Clarisse looked so mad that she could decapitate a bronze bull. Although she pulled away blushing, Annabeth didn't care. She wouldn't care if said bronze bull came charging into camp. Percy had turned up to his own funeral, perfectly fine. He wasn't dead. He was okay.

She had her Seaweed Brain back.

A/N: wow that was bad 😂😭 I know it was different to the book, but I don't have it with me right now, and I fancied a twist. I hope you liked it though.