Far away, the distant pops and bangs of the capital's anti aircraft guns could be heard amidst the ominous hum of the enemy ships' engines. Such chaotic, terrifying sounds only hastened my need to climb. After finally reaching the top of the steps I made my way around the temple, up a small path that ascended the face of the hill. I never imagined that when I made it, I would see an everbloom tree there. It was the smallest I'd ever seen. The trunk was as wide as my waist and its tallest branches were easy for me to touch with an outstretched hand. Still dizzy, I pressed my body up against it for support and brushed the tiny blossoms underneath my fingertips.

"This is the highest place on the island," Kassashimei said as she emerged from the other end of the hill. "This was also the farthest from the temple my mother had ever taken me."

I tried to go to her but the moment I let go of the tree, I felt as though I were about to lose my balance and fall over. So I remained where I was, holding on to one of the branches.

"Kass, I don't know who you are. But please, at least tell me why we're here."

"To give you a choice," she said sadly.

"A choice? What choice?"

"One way or another, something is going to end. It's up to you to decide which one. You can either do nothing and let fate decide or be brave and use the gifts given to you."

There was hope in her. I could see it.

The way her face glowed in the morning sun, the somber glint in her eyes, even her hands gripped the cloth of her robes as if waiting eagerly for me to do something. Seeing her as she was, brought to light my own shame. In the back of my mind, I had already given up. Everyone that I had tried so hard to protect; my sister, the Young Emperor even the people that resided in the capital, had been left to suffer the disgrace of my unfulfilled deeds. Yet, in every instance she was there, insistent that she stay beside me. She was unyielding in the belief she had in me.

The longer I looked at her, the more I felt unworthy to be with someone like her.

And then, it was only after I'd managed to take my eyes off her and look upon the capital just across the water, did I start to grasp the meaning of her words. The flagship had launched signal flares. Shortly after, the ships ascended as quickly as they could, until they were beyond the reach of the city's guns. They were getting ready to drop the bomb.

I turned back to the girl whose gaze remained ever transfixed upon me. A long, soft sigh left my lips before I spoke. "After this is all over, maybe we could try your marriage ceremony again."

I must have surprised her because her eyes widened. She then turned her face away, wiping her cheeks before returning her attention back to me. For a brief moment, there was a look of mournful joy just as she regained her proud composure.

Then she said, "only if we use a real priest."

Wrapping her arm around my shoulder, she helped me step across the hill to the edge of the peak where I could see the city and my country in full view.

The water.

The land.

The sky.

This was my home. This was where the heavens and the Earth met. I searched my memories, recounting every breath-taking moment from my past as I watched the trees and valleys below from the drifting bow of countless airships. I never imagined that all of it would come to an end. Yet, as I was faced with the inevitable, I realized there was a change that had occurred within me. So much time had passed since the day I left home, since the day I left Rune. I remembered the faces of everyone I had met along the way and recalled the incredible experiences of every place I had visited. Every event in my life had shaped me, carried me to this very moment. I still didn't understand Kassashimei's reason for bringing me to that hill, but even so, my true purpose for being who I was, endowed with the gifts I had, became clear to me that day.