A Mission With Artemis - Part II

Start from the beginning

"Ow...Dammit..." Desmond muttered as he rolled on the floor.

"I would have preferred a 'thank you'..." Artemis groaned back. "But I'll take that too..."

She helped him up, but heard Sportsmaster getting to his feet.

"Hold on." Desmond told her.

He reached into his utility belt and pulled out a matte grey capsule, throwing it through the window.

A loud hissing sound went off before the whole apartment above them was covered in dark blue smoke.

He heard small grunts of rage and frustration from Sportsmaster before he took Artemis' hand and pulled out his grappling hook.

"Hang ON!!" he yelled.

He quickly aimed the hook and shot it to a nearby building.

As he did, there was the loud zipping noises of soldiers sliding down a helicopter cable into the smoky area near Sportsmaster.

The cable on Desmond's grapple retracted and he and Artemis were quickly sent towards the building, but they were barely three buildings away from them before a gunshot went off and a bullet ripped through the cable.

Desmond and Artemis hit yet another concrete roof face first.

"Do me a favour, will you?" Artemis groaned as she got up. "Stop trying to save me..."

Desmond wanted to argue with her, but realised he shouldn't, as there were currently nine, heavily armed mercenaries sliding down from the window after them.

Artemis and Desmond ran as fast as they could over the rooftop as the gunmen got closer and their bullets more and more accurate.

They hid behind some stone chimney near the building's ledge. They were falling apart, but they would at least provide SOME cover while they thought of a plan.

But they would have to hurry, Sportsmaster and his men were getting closer!

"Take the girl alive!" Sportsmaster ordered. "The other punk's expendable!!"

Desmond groaned.

"Well," he quipped. "I always knew that when I took a girl out, her dad would try to kill me..."

Artemis growled and looked at him with a wide, annoyed gaze.

"You're seriously going to make jokes NOW?!"

Desmond shrugged with panic.

"We're being SHOT AT!!" he defended. "I'm just trying to lighten the mood!!"

Artemis ignored him and kept shooting arrows, one went straight through one of the men's guns, a small explosion going off that knocked back two more.

"God!!" she yelled. "Can't you use some powers or something?!"

Desmond shook his head.

"There aren't any powers TO mimic! Sportsmaster might be REALLY overpowered, but it's not FROM superpowers!"

Artemis groaned.

"Then check that utility belt Batman gave you! Do SOMETHING!!"

It might have just been the fact that there were bullets were landing inches from his body, but Desmond had REALLY just about had it with Artemis.

He tore the belt from his waist and began uncapping the various packs and compartments on it.

Cryptic Sequencer? No.

Laser Cutting Tool? No, too far away.

Smoke bomb? No, nowhere to run.

Batarang projectiles? No, he wasn't a good enough throw.

Underwater breathing device? No, wrong place.

Then Desmond saw the last object.

Shark Repellent?!

Desmond grunted in anger and threw the belt down on the ground. All that stuff Batman put in there and he couldn't give Desmond a freaking weapon or something?!

But as he threw the belt down on the concrete, he heard a small clattering, like someone had dropped a marble...

He quickly searched the belt again and saw a small, red capsule.

With a yellow lightning bolt on it.

Could it be?!

"Hey, Desmond!" Artemis exclaimed suddenly. "Have you got something ye-"

But before she could finish, a bullet ripped through her, spraying blood everywhere...

Artemis has been shot!! Will she be OK?! With Sportsmaster and his soldiers getting closer to them, will Desmond be able to think of something before Artemis dies?!

But without powers to mimic and facing superior numbers, what will Desmond do?!

Find out on the next chapter and don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed the chapter! :D

-Kai-Shiro :D