Slow Down, Annie

I don't trust him.

16

Slow Down, Annie

Luke's nose is buried in my hair, and his long legs are tangled with mine when I awake bundled underneath his warm covers the next morning. His bedroom windows are lifted slightly and a chilly morning breeze blows through his curtains; spreading comfortably throughout his room.

It feels cozy. Too cozy, actually, and for a minute, I argue with myself. How could I forget to go back to my room last night? We're both getting way too comfortable. 

Trying not to wake the sleeping boy behind me, I carefully remove my legs from between his and twist around on my side so that I'm facing him. He's shirtless, and blond hair, messy and fluffy from his sleep falls over his forehead. Without thinking, I reach out and twist a soft, golden strand around my finger.

I wait to see if he stirs and when he doesn't move, I slide my hand towards the back of his head and let my fingers weave themselves fully through the hair at the nape of his neck. This time, he stirs awake. Blue eyes blink lazily awake and a slow, sleepy grin spreads across his face. 

Sweet Jesus, he's adorable. 

Bowing his head shyly, he hides his face in his pillow, mumbling, "What are you doing?"

"There was um, something ... in your hair." I slip my hand underneath the blanket and shuffle down further.

He looks up at me, skeptical, and then a playful smirk lifts the corners of his mouth. "Mm, you should be less worried about my hair and more about yours, Annie." He lifts his chin and nods towards my hair, whispering, "It looks like a rat nest." 

"Does not!" I slap him hard against his shoulder, nudging him, and then I reach up to comb my hair down behind my ears.
"I'm kidding." Shifting, he yawns into his arm and then he sits up on his elbow, "When's your birthday?"

"In three weeks, why?"

"I should probably start teaching you how to drive if you're really gonna get a car."
The thought of me actually getting behind the wheel makes me giddy with excitement and I scramble to sit up, staring at him, "Seriously?"

Nodding, he climbs out of bed and I watch as he ambles over to his dresser, tugging it open. He's still wearing his sweatpants and mesmerized, I can't stop myself from gazing down at his long, pale torso.

It's distracting. Very.

Luke glances back at me and laughs, "Enjoying the view?" 

I flush, and then I force myself to quickly recover; scrunching up my nose. Slipping out of his bed, I head over to the door before nonchalantly looking back over my shoulder at him and quipping, "Hardly."

--

"So, before you start driving you're supposed to check the mirrors." With a tip of his chin, Luke nods towards the rearview mirrors, and then motions outside his window at the mirror on the side of his car door.

We're sitting on an empty street that Luke drove us to, claiming the roads were wider and better for driving. After a lot of demands for me not to fuck up his car, he finally agreed to let me take his spot.
"I know, I'm not stupid," I mutter feigning annoyance. But really, I'm beyond excited and listening to every little thing he tells me; practically jumping around like a kid in his comfortable smooth seats. 

He stares at me warily, but even beyond his nervous gaze, I can see that his blue eyes are alight with humor. "Annie, you need to chill," he says, serious. Then his lips quirk into a small smile, "Are you sure you're ready?