22 Two Weeks

5 Days

Ray came to pick me up. Fuck. It's not that I don't love Ray to pieces, it's the fact that Mikey or Frank didn't.

I get in his car. "Thanks for picking me up, Ray" he smiles and puts his key in the engine. "No problem"

Most of the car ride, we stayed quiet. "Ray.." He keeps his eyes on the road. "Yes?" I sigh, trying to search for words. "What is up with Mikey? I know he's pissed, but this is just weird"

"What do you mean? He's been acting normal. I mean, he's a bit depressed. But that's it" I curse under my breath. "What's wrong? What did he do?"

I tell him what Mikey told me, and my reaction. How Mikey just left me alone. Mikey could've helped me. Mikey could've stopped it. Mikey could have saved me from him.

"Oh, that's fucked up" we pull into my parking lot. "Mikey is up there" he says, motioning towards my flat. I sigh. "Do you wanna come to my house for a bit?" I nod.

Another few minutes pass by in silence. "Frank kissed me". I feel like I tell Ray everything...

"Oh. That's not Um.., good" he's so awkward it's adorable. "And I think I have I to break up with Mikey" Ray looks at me, his eyes wide. "But youv just got married!"

"What?" I'm not married. "You and Mikey. You just got married" I look at my hand. "Oh fuck" there's an engagement ring and wedding band.

"Don't you remember?" I shake my head. "I don't even remember being engaged" he looks back at the road. "Um. You weren't engaged for that long. Maybe a week"

--

We're sitting on Ray's couch. "I still hadn't given you guys the video I took. You want to watch it?" I nod.

--

Salty tears roll down my cheeks. "Of all the things I could forget.." He hugs me. I cry into his shoulder for a while.

Someone knocks on his front door. "I'll be right back" he sort of pushes me away, but not really. He stands up and leaves the room.

A couple minutes later, he comes in with a pretty brunette following him. She looks surprised when she sees me, sitting on, presumably her boyfriends couch, crying with red puffy eyes.

I stand up. "You know... I should be going" my voice cracks. Ray shakes his head, "go where?" I shrug. "I'll gob to Maddie's. She never minds, and I can walk. It's not that far away" he sighs and nods, "I know you won't listen to me."

"Oh. Dakota, this is Crista." She smiles and waves. "Nice to meet you. I'll see you guys later, then? Thanks for the ride, Ray" he walks to the VCR and takes a tape out. "Here, it's yours"

I hug him. "Thank you so much, Ray"

He laughs, "you are very much welcome. Please be careful" I let go of the hug. "I'll see you later" I wipe my cheek, then see myself out.

--

I knock on Maddie's door. She answers, when she sees me, she jumps forward and hugs me tightly.

"Oh my god! Dakota! You're alive! I haven't seen Mikey or Frank... And no one will answer my calls! The ambulances..." "Maddie, shut up" I interrupt her.

My eyes start to tear up. She lets go of the hug, then begins to look upset herself. "What's wrong, Dakota? What did I do this time?" She starts to cry.

"Maddie, calm down. Can I come inside?" I sniffle. She wipes her eyes and lets me come in.

We sit down on the couch. "You want anything?" I shake my head. "So, what's wrong?" I go to tell her why, but end up just spilling out tears instead. She hugs me.