Chapter Forty-Nine ۞ Meeting the Wyldens (pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"She has four years to go." Valeriana whispered, under deep thought. "Are we talking Valemnian age here?"

"Yes."

"Oh, so five years old in human standards. That means your sister's around three?"

"Must be." He answered.

"Okay. So you have a younger sister, what am I supposed to do again?"

"Just be yourself. The child's said to be very sharp, and I have yet to see her after a long while."

"That isn't too comforting."

"Not to mention my Grandmother's here."

"Oh, great. The grandparents." She blew out an anxious sigh. "Usually, in movies, they're the hard ones to please."

"It may or may not apply to reality." Corvan advised.

"Puh-lease." She rolled her eyes.

"It really matters not what happens in this gathering."

Valeriana glared at him. "You saying?"

"They can't do anything about what I choose for myself, it is time I stop playing the perfect son." He told her. "If I am to be the lord of these lands, I must make it known I shall not bow down to anyone else and bend my own principles to accomodate their likes and dislikes."

"Well, I guess that makes sense."

"I have learned a lot during my time away." Corvan's shoulders visibly tensed. "I must show it is so."

Valeriana bit down on her lip as she saw the pressure on him flaring in his aura. It was obvious. Hesitantly reaching out to him with her gloved hands, she lightly touched his shoulder and instead gave him the biggest smile she had.

"Don't worry about, idiot jerk. I'll help you with it. I'm not sure I can do much but whatever."

He gave her a neutral look, his brows rising to his hairline. "If you mean to comfort me, why must you call me such a degrading name?"

"'Cuz I like it." She told him. "And it helps remind you whatever kind of lord you'll be, you'll always be the Corvan I know. Keeps you from inflating too big." Valeriana grinned. "Isn't that what fiancees do, though?"

He faced her fully. "Yes, I suppose."

That triggered an awkward atmosphere. Valeriana found herself turning beet red and averting her gaze. She never knew it would make her so embarrassed.

"Let us go." Corvan told her, advancing forward.

His statement caused a disturbance which the girl was grateful for, and she happily followed him through the back garden of his home.

"By the way," she said after him. "I expect a grand tour."

-*-

Valeriana's heart was literally pounding inside her chest as they came up to the doors leading inside. The guards spotted the young heir and stiffened at the sight of him, bowing hastily at the waist and throwing their gazes to the floor as they held the handles of the huge double doors and pulled it wide open for them to go through. They gave a questioning glance Valeriana's way, but did not speak anything else aside from a greeting.

"Welcome back, Lord Corvan." They simultaneously chorused. "Welcome to the Ember Palace, milady."

Valeriana muttered a small hello in return as Corvan pulled her to his side and took her arm, wrapping it around his. She gave him a raise of her brows which was returned by a stern look.

"Remember your part." He reminded her silently.

"Oh, um . . . okay." Valeriana nodded hesitantly, her hold on him tightening instantly. "Fine." She muttered, sighing heavily to herself as they made their way inside.