Chapter 4 - Sophie

Start from the beginning

I stopped when my phone dinged from inside my pocket. I pulled it out and opened a text message. It was from my mom.

I'm going to be gone longer than I thought. I should be back home in two weeks. I put some more money into your account for food. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. I love you- Mom.

I sighed, deleting the text message. "Well," I said. "Looks like Mom will be gone longer than she thought."

Sometimes I wish my mom never had the job she did. She was a home designer for big shot celebrities. She flies all over the country, and occasionally outside of it to remodel vacation homes around the world. But she gets paid a lot, which I guess I should be grateful for. And most of it she has been putting towards my college fund so I don't have to worry about getting a job and being a full-time student at the same time.

"I'll keep you company," Justin said, winking.

"I'm sure you will," I laughed, walking towards the couch. I sat down and folded my legs underneath me. Justin sat next to me, and Naomi jumped up next to him. "What do you want to watch?"

"Something scary."

I turned to look at him. "Really?"

He smirked. "Don't worry, I'll protect you."

I snorted. "Oh thank God. I've always wanted a Prince Charming."

We both laughed as I turned on the TV. The news was on, so I paused for a second before changing the channel. The story about Kimberly was on. The news reporter was standing in front of a house that had crime scene tape all around it. Red and blue lights flashed in the distance, and there were Crime Scene Unit trucks in the driveway.

"... new evidence about this grizzly murder is showing up quickly. The FBI still has not been able to identify the man who did this. DNA was found all over the house, yet the FBI is still having a hard time with the events that took place here. They know the seventeen-year-old senior went through what seemed like its own horror movie. From being beaten to raped, to held hostage inside her own house. Her father had been on a business trip at the time and is now with the police, fully cooperating. We will be updating you on any new information that comes out way. Stay tuned. This is Rebecca..."

Justin and I sat in silence for a few moments. I turned to him. "Still want to watch that horror movie?"

He glanced at me and flashed a small smile. "Whatever you want to watch."

The playful mood in the room vanished after the news story. It wasn't like Justin to not crack jokes, which is how I knew he was sad about what had happened, too.

"Did you know her?" I asked quietly.

At first, he was quiet. He took a deep breath and said, "She used to cheer at the basketball games. I didn't know her personally, but she was always the one in charge of the bake sales to raise money for their uniforms and competitions. I talked to her a few times, but we were never really friends. It's just so weird. I felt like I just talked to her the other day..." He trailed off, looking at the ground. I slowly put my hand on his shoulder, to try and make him feel some comfort.

We stayed like that for a few minutes. He wasn't crying, he just seemed... sad. Justin was more a part of the social group she was in. He played varsity basketball and was really good at it. I kept thinking he was going to go to college for it, but he says he's going to travel the world as a journalist.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked, my voice a quiet whisper.

"Yeah. It's just unreal." He flashed me a half-smile and laid back, kicking his feet up on the coffee table. "Want to order some pizza?"

His playful mood had returned, or at least it seemed like it. I smiled and nodded. "Sure. Pepperoni?"

"Yeah. I'll order, you pick out a movie."

"Deal."

~

The movie I had picked wasn't the best. It took place in an asylum, and a paranormal activity team was investigating some weird disturbances. It was obviously fake, especially when it came to the reactions of the paranormal team.

We sat and ate our pizza, occasionally giving Naomi our crust and commenting on the movie.

"This is obviously fake. This can't be based on real events," I criticized. "How would they know about it if every person from the paranormal team died and there was no footage found?"

"I think they just say that to spark debates in households. Like Bigfoot of UFO sightings," he chuckled.

We laughed and continued to watch the movie. I was cuddled under a blanket with Justin next to me. He moved and stretched his arm around me, pulling me against him. I could feel my face growing warm, but I fixed my eyes on the movie. He smelled like peppermint and aftershave. Surprisingly it was a nice aroma.

Thunder cracked outside and I jumped. Justin turned towards the window. "Well, I guess it's raining."

"I guess so," I sighed. Justin turned to me and stared. I looked at him and raised my eyebrow. "What?"

"Let's go on a date tomorrow."

I stared at him, confused. "A date?"

"Yeah, a date."

I narrowed my eyes, half-smiling at him. "Seriously?"

"Why so surprised?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. We've known each other since we were kids and you've never asked me out on a date before. Why now?"

He thought for a minute. "Why not now?"

"Touché." I giggled and laid against him. "Okay, let's go on a date tomorrow."

He smiled and rubbed my arm. The movie had finally ended and the credits were rolling on the screen. "Well, I guess I'd better be going. Will you be alright by yourself here?"

"Me? Being okay in an empty house?" I asked sarcastically. "No, I might need to call one of my many boyfriends to come over."

He laughed, and I joined in. My laugh was somewhat forced, though. When he asked if I'd be okay, it hit me that I would be alone tonight. After what the officers told us about not being alone. Suddenly, I wanted him to stay. Just to have his company.

"I'll be okay," I choked out, smiling. We both got up and walked to the front door. "What time tomorrow?"

"Noon, at the basketball courts."

"Basketball courts? So you can kick my ass?" I protested.

"Scared, Anderson?" he taunted.

I smirked. "Fine. I'll be there."

He opened the door and stepped outside. My plea for him to stay lingered on my lips, but I couldn't speak. He turned and smiled. "See you tomorrow."

I leaned against the door. "See you," I said quietly. I watched him walk down the sidewalk and get into his car. He pulled out of the driveway and drove out of sight. I closed the door and locked it behind me. A pit in my stomach made the hair on my arms raise. From all of the business trips my mom had taken throughout the years, I was used to being home alone. Or so I'd thought. This time I just didn't want to be alone. Maybe it was because of what happened to Kimberly? I wasn't sure, but I couldn't shake this bad feeling.

"Naomi," I called. I heard her nails scratching the hardwood floors as she walked towards me. "Let's go to bed. Come on, girl."

She followed me as I walked down the hallway to my room. I opened the door and my eyes instantly found the rose on my bedside table. I laid on my bed and stared at the rose. I picked up the little black box and opened it, gazing at the necklace inside. It was beautiful, there was no doubt about that. It looked expensive, too. My mind got to wandering again. Justin swears he didn't send it. But if he didn't send it, who did?