5: fire

Lacy

"No, no you're doing it all wrong." I rolled my eyes at Jake as he attempted to start a fire for the third day in a row

"It's not making a spark! Why can't I just use a lighter." He whined

"Because you may not always have a lighter." I said

He sighed, trying to reflect the sun again to light a piece of dry hay.

"Holy shit! I got it!" He said jumping up, looking down at the small flame moving across the hay

"Hurry blow on it Lightly to make it grow." I said rushing over to him

He blew lightly at the flame and soon enough the sticks he gathered engulfed in flames.

"Yes!" He said high-fiving me

"And it only took you three days." I laughed

He smiled and we stomped out the fire, heading back to Alexandria.

"So you know my friend Zack?" He said chewing on a piece of jerky

"Yeah." I shrugged

"He thinks you're really cute." He said

I felt my cheeks heat up, and my stomach clench. "Really?"

Zack was really cute, and seemed sweet. He had blonde hair that was spiked up in the front and really pretty brown eyes.
My mind instantly compared his eyes to Carl's and Carl's eyes definitely took the win.

Dang it Lacy stop thinking about Carl.

I haven't spoken to Carl in 2 weeks since me and Jake started our secret survival lessons. I didn't want to get involved with him. But that kiss.. I couldn't get it out of my head.

"Yeah. You should talk to him." He said

"Okay I will."

We walked past a large tree and Jake pushed a branch away to walk through, letting it go and accidentally smacking me across the cheek.

"Ow! frick that hurt." I laughed

"Lacy I'm so sorry!" He said quickly grabbing my face to inspect it, "it's bleeding"

He pulled his long sleeve over his hand and carefully wiped the blood off my face.

"Do you ever cuss?" He asked, pouring some water on his other sleeve to wipe it off my face

"No." I said

"You've never said fuck?" He asked

"No.. And don't say it.." I cringed

"Or shit? What about bitch-"

"-Jake!" I stopped him and he retreated, closing up the water bottle.

My face stung but at least
he cleaned it.

The walk back to Alexandria consisted of talking about jakes home life before the apocalypse while he smoked a cigarette and I protested that he didn't.

We got to the wall and helped me climb up until the top and then we got down.

"See you Lace." He said, "don't forget to talk to Zack."

He began to walk away and then he stopped, "unless you still like Carl."

I froze, feeling a lump in my throat, "W-what?"

"Oh please, I saw y'all makin out on the couch a few weeks ago when I went to get a condom out of my bag. You didn't even realize I came down the steps. Just be careful with Carl, he's trouble."