The Breakup

“Your girl was really stepping on my last nerve last night.” Janet said to Steve in his office. “I can’t understand why she has to throw herself at everybody. Why do you put up with that? You deserve better.” She continued.

“I…” Steve looked down. “You’re right, I really intended to break it off with her last night, but…”

“But what?” Janet asked.

Steve smiled sheepishly.

“What is it with men? Someone put it on you and you do whatever they want. What’s different about this girl? You ain’t had no trouble moving on before?”

“I ah…”

“You need to drop that girl, she is no good. And before you do, you tell her to keep her hands off my man.”

“Are you sure it is just her?” Steve said under his breath.

Janet put her hand on her hip and said, “What? So you blaming Terry?”

“No, I just…”

“Would you Spit it out Steve.”

“You saw what I saw and that flirting was not one sided.”

“So you are blaming Terry. You just need to mind your own damn business and keep your girl from me.”

“Janet…”

Janet walked briskly out of Steve’s office and slammed the door shut and walked over to her cube.

She couldn’t believe that Steve would tell her that Terry was flirting with Penny. She knew he was telling the truth, but she didn’t really want to hear it.

“Janet.”

Janet turned around at her desk and saw Michael standing there.

“Yes.”

“I need to see you in my office.”

Janet walked over to Michael’s office and saw Steve and Ashley sitting in there. She sat down.

“Now guys you know I love you both, but this is getting out of hand. One day Janet is yelling at Steve and the next day Steve is yelling at Janet. This can’t continue. Now I brought Ashley in here as the HR director of the company.” Michael said.

“I just want you to know that you guys are gonna have to keep the personal stuff out of the office. You guys fight like you are dating.” Michael said to both of them.

Steve and Janet looked at each other. Steve smiled nervously and Janet rolled her eyes.

“It appears that you two can’t work together, so we are thinking about shifting in the department.” Ashley said.

“No, no, not necessary, and I can’t afford to lose her.” Steve said. “Yeah we fight…” Steve continued.

“It is a 'love-hate’ relationship.” Janet cut Steve off.

“But mostly love.” Steve smiled. “We will keep it down.”

Janet was angry, but she didn’t want to leave the team. She didn’t want to work for Michael or Laura who both were a bit more structured and straitlaced about requirements. Steve was less structured which is why they worked well together.

“What do you want to do?” Ashley asked Janet.

Janet smiled at Steve and said, “I want to stay on Steve’s team.”

Michael looked unimpressed. He said, “Dr. Stevens has left me in charge of the ship, I want you to know that yall ain’t gonna take down my ship. Yall gonna have to prove to me that yall can work together.”