Chapter Twenty One: State Of Grace

"This is a state of grace

This is the worth while fight

Love is a ruthless game

Unless you play it good and right

These are the hands of fate

You're my Achilles heel

This is the golden age of something good

And right and real

And I never saw you coming

And I'll never be the same."

~"State Of Grace" by Taylor Swift

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Twenty One: State of Grace

It was finally Saturday and I was ready for my date with Everett. He hadn't really told me much about it- in fact, he refused to tell me where we were going. After my persistent whines, he at least told me that I needed to dress casual. So when I was getting ready, I decided on a plain white tank top, black jeans, and some white high top converse. I curled my hair into loose waves and did my normal makeup routine, but added a little but of red lipstick. After I was done getting ready, I finished the look off with a leather jacket and walking down the stairs to wait for Everett. 

He had told me he would pick me up at six, and it was only five thirty. I sat down on the couch and started up an episode of Supernatural. God, I love this show. At six o'clock on the dot, the doorbell rang, and there was Everett, a bouquet of lilies in his hands. "How did you know these where my favorite flowers?" I asked, taking them and his hand and leading him into the kitchen. 

"I may or may not have asked Ellie and Evie," he said, a smile on his face along with a slight blush. As I was grabbing a vase, Everett wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and kissed my cheek. I turned my head to the side, and pecked him on the lips. 

"Thank you," I said, smiling at him. When the flowers put into the vase, I grabbed my messenger bag before throwing my phone, wallet, keys into it and heading out the door with Everett by my side. Before we got into his truck, he insisted on opening the door for me, making a smile spread across my face. 

"So now will you tell me where we're going?" I said, looking towards him as he backed out of my driveway. 

"Nope," he said, a smirk spread across his face. "But we are getting some food first."

We were driving for a while before we pulled up to a familiar diner. Lulu's diner. It felt like just yesterday that Everett had brought me here to cheer me up over my breakup with Mark. He yet again got out of the car to open the door for me, and led me inside. When we entered, Lulu saw us immediately, rushing over to greet us.

"Everett!" she cheered, giving him a hug. He smiled, a beautiful smile. "And Kennedy, right?" she asked, and I nodded. She then proceeded to pull me into a hug, and I giggled in the process. 

"It's nice to see you too Lulu," I said, chuckling to myself. I took a step back, grabbing Everett's hand again in the process. Her eyes widened and a smirk immediately spread across her face. 

"I see things have changed since the last time I saw you two," she said, gesturing to our interlocked hands. 

I expected some sort of snarky answer from Everett like, "she finally gave into this" or "she's been begging for it" but he unexpectedly answered her with: "She finally said yes." 

"You guys are adorable!" she squealed in delight, and brought a smile to my face. She seated us soon enough, and within ten minutes we had ordered drinks and food and now were left alone. I look over at the table to see Everett staring at me. 

"Is there something on my face?" I said, and then raised an eyebrow. "If you say that I'm beautiful or something like that I'm going to kill you."

"What's so wrong with me thinking my girlfriend is gorgeous?" he said, grabbing my hand that was laying on the table, giving it a small squeeze. Our waitress came by, before giving Everett a flirty smile and said, "Would you like anything else, sugar?"

"My girlfriend and I would like a chocolate milkshake with two straws," he said, a smirk written across his face. Once she left, I looked back at him and rolled my eyes. 

"Milkshake with two straws? Are you just a walking cliche or what?" I said, squeezing his hand this time. 

"Yet you love me anyway." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't believe she wrote her number on the check!" I said, laughing my ass off as we exited the restaurant and headed back to the car. 

"What can I say? I'm irresistible," he said, his classic smirk plastered on his face. 

"Are you saying you'd go for a thirty year old heavy smoking waitress who called you sugar?" I said walking up to him and wrapping my arms around his waist. 

"Nah. The ladies can admire and appreciate all they want, but they know they'll never have this," he said, motioning to himself. "Plus, I have you now. And that definitely is enough for me." He wrapped his own arms around me and we stood in the parking lot for a second, just enjoying each other's embrace. 

"You, my friend, are a living, breathing, cheese ball," I said, pulling myself out of the hug and walking again towards the car. "So what's next, Mr. Cliche?" 

 "You'll see," he replies as we climb back into the car. We drove for another twenty minutes or so before we pulled into a parking lot that was unrecognizable to me. I began to read the signs surrounding the parking lot, and laughed at the outcome. 

"We're at an aquarium?" I said, getting out of the car with a loving smile spreading across my face. 

"You told me once that you wanted to be a marine biologist when you were a kid. I thought that maybe it might be your childhood come true?" he said, a nervous smile spreading across his face. 

I reached up and pecked his lips, and replied, "I love it." I then grabbed his hand in my own before dragging him into the aquarium. After we payed for tickets and began walking through the aquarium, I was totally lost in the wonders of the water. I started to pull in a long with me to the different tanks, and he laughed as I told him completely random facts about the different fishes and such. 

"Now this is a lemon shark," I said, as I pointed to a smaller shark in the tank. Everett wrapped his arms around me from behind, setting his head on my shoulder. "And it'a called that because of the yellowish white coloring on their bellies."

"Tell me more, Doctor Everson," he said, reaching over and kissing my cheek. 

"Don't mock me," I replied, chuckling. "I was a nerdy kid, don't judge."

"I think it's kind of adorable," he whispered. "You get so excited about the little things and I think it's really cute." 

"Whatever," I said, turning around to look at him. "Now we just have to find out what gets your nerdy nerves tingly."

"You'll find out soon enough." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello old friends. I'm horrible when it comes to updating, but with school and me not having a laptop right now it's getting hard to keep up with you guys! But anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this new super fluffy chapter. 

Anyways, back to business. THERE IS ONLY ONE MORE CHAPTER AND THEN THE EPILOGUE AND THEN WE"LL BE DONE. UNLESS YOU GUYS WANT A SEQUEL BUT I HAVEN'T GOT REALLY ANY FEEDBACK ABOUT THAT SO IF YOU WANT A SEQUEL SEND ME A COMMENT AND WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT IN THE NEXT CHAPTER. okay? okay. 

But anyways, let me know what you thought. Make sure to vote/comment/follow. 

Love you all and I will be seeing you again soon!