4

"C'mon! We don't have all day, now do we?" Mitchell started to run faster, his feet barely touching the ground, as Scott followed a few steps behind.

"I'm sorry, I just can't fly." Scott drawled, and started to sprint, closing in the lead from Mitchell. The angel stopped, and Scott bumped into him, knocking Mitchell and him to the ground. They rolled around multiple times, until Scott was lying on top of the angel. He stood up quickly, and Mitchell blushed profusely.

"We're here." He fluttered his wings, and gestured to a small cozy-looking house on the side of the road. "The domain of The Messenger." 

The domain of The Messenger  Scott thought to himself. Why not just 'the messenger's house?'

"Well, because The Messenger prefers domain. Also, a domain is an area of territory owned or controlled by a ruler or government. A house, is a building for human habitation." Scott gaped at Mitchell. 

"Wait, did you just read my-" Scott was interrupted.

"And... The Messenger does not live in a house. The Messanger is the ruler of a domain." Mitchell pushed open the door, and Scott gasped in awe as all his previous thoughts melted away. 

"Wow, this is... amazing." Scott looked around at all the colours and objects he took in. He marvelled as a great white cloud floated down to where he and Mitchell stood. A small portion of the cloud broke off, and a delicate white figure stepped out. She was gorgeous, even Scott could agree. She was quite tall, only a few inches off Scott, and had a pale face. Her long platinum hair was piled up into a tall bun at the top of her head, and her smile was bright and wide. 

"Hello Mitchell dear!" She glided over to the angel, and kissed him on both cheeks. "Who's your friend?" Scott blushed, and Mitchell rolled his eyes.

"This is Scott. I'm his temporary angel." The woman smiled sweetly.

"Hello Scott." Scott smiled back, and tried to reach out to kiss her hand, but she quickly pulled away. She whispered something hurriedly to Mitchell, who nodded, and whispered back.

"Is there something wrong, miss?" Scott politely interrupted. 

"Oh, no no. It's just that... I can't touch you. Angels can't touch the Limbos. I'm sure Mitchell already told you that." She glanced around, before her eyes rested on Scott.

"Oh, yeah." He shuffled back, embarrassed. "Where is The Messenger? I've heard lots of great things about him, and I was wondering when I would be able to meet him?" The woman angel blinked haughtily. 

"You're looking at him." Scott immediately knew what he had done wrong. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry... Ms. Messenger. I had no idea." He didn't know what to do, so Scott bowed down to her. 

"Apology accepted. Stand up." She smiled again. "Don't worry. I don't keep grudges with the Limbos. Just, watch your words next time." She pointed a long finger at Scott, who nodded. Mitchell stood back, watching the whole thing unfold. "Has Mitchell explained to you what I do?" Scott shook his head. "Well then, I am The Messenger. I allow people from Limbo and Heaven to see down to the Living. Is there anyone you would like to check on?" Scott had many names rushing through his head. "Be careful, you can only choose one person. Watch your words." Scott nodded, until he had come up with a specific answer. 

"My mother, Connie Hoying." He said, and The Messenger closed her eyes. Mitchell closed his too, and Scott felt the compelling urge to fall asleep. 

"I bring you Connie Hoying, mother of Scott Hoying." The Messenger's voice played in Scott's mind, as an image played in his mind. There his mother was, lying in a hospital bed. Her eyes were closed, and tubes were placed all over her body. She looked awfully pale, and Scott wanted to scream out to her, but couldn't find his voice. Her heartbeat could be heard through an electronic screen. It started to slowen, until there were only a few beats left. Scott screamed silently, as the beeps turned into one long consistent noise. Scott screamed at the lifeless woman on the hospital bed.

He had just watched his mother die.