Chapter 12: Continuance

Start from the beginning

Another obstacle arose- Bagon was a slow runner and the half hour jog tired him so much that he almost collapsed by the end of it. His endurance and speed were huge weaknesses that I knew we'd be struggling with until he was more in shape. 

Over the next few days, my Pokemon and I ran with Bagon through the forest, trying to extend our distance each time. I found myself sweating as much as them, out of breath by the time we'd get back to the clearing. Usually three quarters into each run Bagon was so tired that he'd climbed onto Torterra's back and hide until we stopped. 

I was not pleased. 

"You're running that distance twice in a row, Bagon. Honchkrow, follow him. If he stops, peck him until he continues, even if he starts bleeding." I sent the two off, Bagon groaning.  

Dawn had been watching, but hadn't commented as Togekiss remained stationary, shining pure white, feathers dancing around her as if she was molting. 

I could see Dawn challenging my methods as Togekiss had obviously accomplished mastering the move Roost without being yelled at, but I paid her no attention.  

"We need to learn Shadow Ball now, but the Pokedex said that was one of the harder moves for Togekiss to learn." Dawn vented that night at dinner- sandwiches. 

"And you're going to let that stop you?"

"Of course not, though you're one to talk." 

"And what do you mean by that, Miss Ignorant?" 

"Remember in Meteor Falls where you were going to leave Bagon behind just because he was newly hatched? You would have given up. You're such a hypocrite." 

I had nothing to say to that. She was right. I studied her for a moment before saying, "Since when do you have an actual argument that makes sense?" 

She huffed impatiently, "Now that I'm not talking to you all day, I have time to think." 

"How easily you admit to not thinking before."

She gave me the silent treatment after that.

Every day became vaguely the same- breakfast with Dawn, discussing problems she may have with Shadow Ball. The two of us going off on our own, me running in the morning with Bagon while Dawn started off drills of Roost with Togekiss before trying to learn their newest move. After a couple hours, we'd get back for lunch to rest and she'd tell me any more problems she'd have.  

Each meal, she seemed more sure of herself, which surprised me. Her need for advice was soon replaced with a curiosity about my own Pokemon and how I'd taught them certain moves or how I'd obtained them. It was almost happy conversation, or at the very least healthy compared to our arguments. I never imagined talking to her would be something I could stand in small doses. 

After lunch, we would go our separate ways again while Bagon and I would train attacks and Dawn would continue with Shadow Ball. 

In about five days, they had mastered both Roost and Shadow Ball and I had to admit her technique was pretty impressive, though I refused to actually tell her that. Bagon was still working on using Ember without warming up (which he had mastered with a jog prior to attempting that attack) and was making progress, though not as fast as Togekiss and Dawn. I continued to tell myself that Togekiss were Pokemon that gained experience faster than most and learned quickly, unlike Dragon Pokemon, and that was why Dawn was so successful. 

Dawn broke out her bag of fruits and berries to celebrate Togekiss's progress that night and confirmed to her Pokemon that they'd all be trained in turn and would have a party by the end of each one. 

I watched as they all cheered and Bagon nibbled on his berry, along with the rest of my Pokemon, who had been offered berries by Dawn. I'd rather them not have accepted the offer, but they'd taken to Dawn and her Pokemon. They all talked, at least, though my Pokemon still refused to join in any games that Dawn's had concocted and played during the day. 

Still, their closeness wasn't something I had expected. 

"Want some fruit, Paul?" Dawn offered me a bowl of strawberries. 

"No." 

"Come on! We're celebrating. Did you ever celebrate anything in your life?" Dawn whined. 

"No," I answered truthfully. 

She saw it on my face and frowned. "You never even celebrate your own birthday?" 

"Why bother? It's just the same as every other day out of the year."

"How old are you again?" 

"I'm seventeen." 

"So am I!" 

"Joy." 

"When's your birthday?" 

I had to think about that- considering I never celebrated it, it was hardly important information to have at the top of my head. "April twentieth." 

"Seriously!? It's April now!" Dawn almost started bouncing up and down in excitement.  

I sighed. "So?" 

"So!?" Dawn smiled, then looked at my expression and calmed herself down, "Ok, fine. I'll be quiet about it." 

Something about her immediate silence seemed very off, but I said nothing and Dawn soon went back to congratulating Togekiss for a job well done.

Note: I made Paul's birthday April twentieth because that is the date in the United States where Paul first appeared in a Pokemon episode.