Her face came a bit visible in my head. I pushed it out and waited a couple minutes for mom and a few more relatives to get into the car. We were heading back to my house for food. 

The drive was longer than ever. I didn't even want to be around anyone. 

My little cousins made a lot of noise in the back, mom began talking to her sister about more things dad was known for. I cleared my throat and she got the message to stop. 

If I cried, we would have another car accident. That would be on her hands. 

I pulled into the driveway and opened the door for everybody then made my way up to my room for the night.  

Impatient I ripped the stupid suit off me until I was only in my undershirt and boxers.

My bed welcomed me though I wasn't very tired. I laid there and stared up at the ceiling and bit my lip to keep my thoughts from shifting to dad. It wasn't working, everything went back to him. The lamp on my dresser he gifted me. A picture of him and mom were on my working desk. 

Even a shirt I borrowed form him was thrown along the chair. I mumbled an 'I miss you' before I heard a knock at the door.

"Max? Can I come in?" It was Serenity. I almost forgot she came. 

She would be a perfect distraction. I cleared my throat before answering. "Yea." 

She looked like a princess in all her glory coming in. Her blonde hair poured over the black dress she was wearing. The dress was just a little below her knees. It wasn't tight but it still managed to bring out her nice shape.  

"You look great by the way." I commented. She sat beside me on my bed and took my hand into hers. 

"Thanks. You look defeated." She replied, smiling slightly. 

"You know what else I am?" I looked at her jokingly. 

"What?" She asked.

"Adopted." 

I waited for a reaction but she only shrugged. "Don't tell me you already knew." 

She nodded her head. Screw this. Everyone knew except me. Perfect. 

"How did you know?" I asked upset. She hushed me. 

"Your mom told me last year. She was planning on telling you but she said there was more to the story, that I couldn't know about." 

I sighed and turned away from Serenity. I felt mad at the world. 

She took the gesture and left my room. 

Everyone began to leave around 8 as I hoped would happen. I could finally come out.

I walked to the kitchen, expecting to eat but realizing that I wasn't hungry enough. It's been a week since the accident, and I can honestly name everything I have eaten since then. 

I heard mom's footsteps down the stairs and closed the fridge door, knowing she was coming into the kitchen. I sat on the sofa, legs open, poker face on. I knew she was going to say something this time. 

"I know you read the scrapbook, sweetie." She began in a calm voice. I huffed and shook my head. I wasn't having it. I tried to wait until I cooled off, I gave the situations some days to air out, but you just don't get over this kinda stuff. 

" When were you going to tell me?" I asked. 

She was silent. I'm guessing she never really planned on it. 

"Why weren't you going to tell me?" I corrected.

She came and sat beside me  and took my hand. I looked at her face filled with slight pain and sympathy. I couldn't be mad at her now. Not when she was weak.