Welcome to my Nightmare

I screamed at the top of my lungs but I couldn't hear it. I ran as fast as I could but my feet were glued to the ground. Every night it was the same damn thing. This stupid nightmare has been dominating my life for the past 6 months. Why? 

The darkness swarmed around me like smoke. All I could see was the redness of the skies and everything in its horizon. I felt dizzy and out of breath but I felt that if I sat down, everything would crumble underneath me. 

I couldn't sit though, there was no time. No matter how many times I had this dream, I knew there was a purpose. I didn't know what it was. I didn't who I was searching for, but tonight I found her. 

I walked past the ugly bush with the brown leaves and the dead roots. Over the bridge that had a deep black abyss on both sides. Often in the dream things would rise up from the trench and attack me. I slowed down and waited for it to happen, walking cautiosly in fear of falling over. 

It seemed safe so I made my way to the other side. Thorns and vines twisted up the straight road in my path, willing me to stop. As I walked farther they were all I saw. They got taller, swirling up into the sky and the thorns looked like sharp blades. 

I stopped. She was near, I could feel it. My heart raced, I could hear the thumping in my ears. It became so loud. I stepped closer to the wall of thorns and peeped through a small whole. 

I saw the back of her head, her black hair wipping with the wind. Her hands extended out infront of her and slowly raised above her head, building the wall higher. She was making the wall? 

If she wanted a wall between us, why would she make a straight road leading me to her?

"Hello?" I said. 

There was no answer, she didn't even move. 

"I don't know where I am...I." I studdered confused. 

"I keep showing up here in every dream..." I continued. Her hands slowly moved to her side and her hair calmed. 

"How did you get here?" I heard an answer back. The voice was so powerful, I didn't think it was her speaking. It echoed in unison around me. 

I stammered back a few steps from the wall. "No one knows how they get anywhere in dreams." I answered. 

"Who are you?" She spoke again. I couldn't tell what she was really. Irritated?

"Maxwell." 

"Not your human name! Who are you in this realm? Who sent you here?" She yelled almost desperate.

"N-no one sent me here. I told you I don't know where I am or how I got here." 

"Can you save me?" She asked. Her voice was becoming softer and the thorns on the wall of vines shortened. 

"Save you?" I repeated. "From what?"

"Please, save me." She replied. Her voice sounded terrified. 

She yelled now. "Leave quickly, go!" 

"I don't know how to get out of here." I said in panic. 

"Get out!" A harsher voice screamed. 

Suddenly the ground beneath me began to fall away. I looked down and saw the dark pieces of land falling deep into the dark abyss. All that was left was the piece I was standing on, and then that fell too. 

Falling is the easiest way to wake up. 

I jumped out of my bed soaking wet in sweat. My heart thrummed in my ears and my eyes were still adjusting to the morning. 

It's raining. Pouring actually. It's been raining for more than a week, non-stop. Everyone's been complaining about not being able to go anywhere. I barely went anywhere anyway. 

The only friend I have is Serenity. We've been friends since 4th grade. People always thought we were dating but I haven't seen her in that way. I haven't really thought about her in that way. 

Any guy would be awefully lucky to have her though. She's a great friend. 

I switched on my old computer, that took about 20 minutes to start up and went into the bathroom. 

I changed out of my wet clothes for the 4th time this week, I hope mom wouldn't ask too many questions. 

I took a shower in attempt to calm me down, but it didn't work. All I could think about was that dream. It's stupid to say it felt like getting to another level on a video game, but thats what it felt like. 

Ofcourse it was more realistic. 

I got out of the shower and didn't bother to straighten my black hair. I went back to my computer in a new pair of boxers and an old shirt. 

I had already missed a video call from Serenity. I called back. I would usually fix my hair or at least see if I look presentable, but I was still tired and confused. 

Her faced popped up on my screen, fresh as ever. Her blonde hair fell in a cascade down her shoulder and her calm blue-green eyes steered at me. Her head tilted to the side.

"You look..sleepy?" She commented.

I put my hand on the computer desk and rest my head down on it.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Remember that dream I was telling you about? With the dark place and the thorns.."

She nodded.

"I can't stop having it. It's creeping me out."

Her animated face frowned at me through my computer. She really was adorable at times. 

"I'm sorry, love. I feel sorta helpless."

"It fine. Your helping just by being here." I assured her. She smiled sympathetically then held up a book. It read "Realm II" 

"Your dream sounds a little like this book I'v been reading."

My mind processed it and immediately my head jumped up to look at it.

"You think I could borrow that?" I asked.

"Mhm, you think this will help?"

"I don't know. Bring it over." I stated.

"Umm..It's raining, if you haven't noticed."

"I'm coming to get it then." I answered.

"No! Just wait a few hours!"

I closed down my computer and slipped on my pants and hoodie. I needed to find out what ever was going on as soon as possible.

_______________________________________________________________________________