'Who cares about them?' he said, and Jennifer shrugged.

Just then the ball rang for everybody to go back to class, and Jennifer hurried off, without even saying 'bye to Bob.

He watched as Jennifer left the cafeteria rushedly, and Bob thought, I think I'm in love." Jeremy concluded, and Jennifer laughed.

"You didn't think that." She argued, and Jeremy laughed.

"How do you know? You're not inside my head."

"'Cause I just know."

Jeremy laughed and started drawing imaginary circles on Jennifer's stomach.

"I made a decision." Jeremy said softly, and felt Jennifer stiffen under his touch.

"What?"

"I'm gonna wait until you're ready to leave. Soon, you're gonna realize how much you love Justin, and I can't force you out of here. You'll decide on your own."

Jennifer smiled and rolled the two to where she was hovering over him. "Well, news flash, Campbell. You're gonna be waiting forever." She said, and planted her lips over his ever so softly.

"No I won't." he whispered, and Jennifer shook her head.

"Why are you so stubborn?" she asked, and he chuckled and sat up.

"It's who I am, it's what I do." He said, shrugging, and Jennifer laughed.

"You're ridiculous."

Jeremy raised his eyebrows at Jennifer. "You wanna rethink that sentence?"

Jennifer laughed and shook her head, standing up. "Catch me if you can Campbell!" she cried, and ran off into the nearby woods. Jeremy, knowing what was beyond their meadow, took off after her.

Jennifer hid behind a tree, giggling, not even realizing what was behind her.

Finally, she felt it. She realized a presence behind her and turned around, a scream lodged in her throat.

It was pitch black, and took the shape of a cloud. "Do you want to die?" it asked, its voice gravelly and raw.

Jennifer was rendered speechless. "What are you?" she asked, and reached out to touch the cloud shape.

"Do you love your life?" it asked.

"I don't know," she whispered.

"Do you miss your loved ones?" immediately, Jennifer's mind thought

Maribelle.

Pattie.

Scooter.

Alfredo.

Marvin.

Kenny.

Ry.

As she thought these names, they appeared before her. They were all sitting in hospital chairs, heads in their hands in grief.

Pattie and Scooter were in another room, though. Sitting next to a hospital bed. Jennifer gasped.

"Is that me?" she choked out, and turned in shock when Jeremy appeared next to her, staring into the black cloud.

"Yes," he said, his tone taking a seriousness that Jennifer didn't recognize. "You're not supposed to be here."

Jennifer didn't know whether or not Jeremy was talking to her or the cloud, so she remained silent.

"I was sent here." The gravelly voice responded, and Jennifer gasped, holding onto Jeremy's arm as fear soared through her veins.

"By who?"

"Him."

Jeremy sighed. "Does she have to watch this now? I haven't even explained everything to her yet."

"Yes," the gravelly voice replied. "She must watch."

Jennifer felt tears prick the back of her eyes. "Who are you?" she asked the cloud.

"Death's decision maker."

"What is that?" she asked.

"He helps people... make their decision. Whether or not they want to stay or go back. He shows what the living are doing as you're gone." Jeremy explained in a tight voice.

"Do you miss your loved ones?" the gravelly voice asked again, and Jennifer felt the tears overflow as one last name reeled through her head.

Justin.

Suddenly, the cloud shape morphed into Justin's face, and Jennifer automatically reached out to touch it, but Jeremy stopped her.

"Don't touch him."

"Why?"

"He'll take you... he'll... just don't touch him, okay?"

Suddenly, the cloud shape morphed again. It turned into a hospital hallway, a shape huddled on the floor.

Suddenly Justin's voice was heard. "I miss you, please come back to me." it said in a broken voice, and Jennifer's tears continued in a silent stream.

"I'll make everything up to you, if you just come back to me, please. Don't leave me." he begged, and a sob escaped Jennifer's lips. She didn't want to watch anymore, yet she couldn't avert her eyes from the cloud.

Jennifer watched as Justin sobbed himself to sleep. Scooter found him and carried him into the hospital room where Jennifer's broken body was lying.

Finally, the cloud turned back into its original shape. Jennifer leaned into Jeremy's chest and sobbed.

"Get out of here," Jeremy said, and guided Jennifer back into the meadow. "You see why you need to go back, Jennie?"

Jennifer sniffled. "Explain everything to me, please. I want to understand before I leave."

Jeremy's heart fluttered as he let out a sigh of relief.

"All right, Jennie. Sit down, it's going to take a while."