Chapter 14: The Bitterness

"Bitterness and resentment only hurt one person." ~ Alana Stewart

- - -

We find an unscathed car in the huge car park outside the shopping complex, the keys still in the engine and free from the smeared scarlet of blood. We siphoned petrol from as many other cars as we could find and it now sits in the boot, sloshing around in red plastic containers.

I stare at Ashia asleep in the car seat we found in a Land Rover, questioning how she grew up so quickly. It seems like only yesterday she was born, a tiny baby crying in my arms, when in reality she's nearing nine months old. I guess the apocalypse does that- makes time dissolve away.

"I think we should stop in the next town for the night," I suggest to the group and I hear a murmur of agreement, craning my neck to the back seats.

"As long as there are no zombies," Soph exclaims and I chuckle at her obvious point.

"Yeah, thanks for the reminder, we might have just parked in a heard," I reply sarcastically and she frowns at me irritably, her eyes squinting tightly.

"Ahh sibling love," Josh teases and I send him a smirk, my eyes glinting merrily.

"Actually, we get on amazingly well for sisters," I reply honestly and smile at Soph who just stares out her window deeply, her mind lost deep in concentration.

"You think brothers and sisters get on any better?" I hear Toby shout from in the back, followed by a grunt of pain as I presume Maria punches him, clearly offended.

"We get on brilliantly," he seethes through gritted teeth and I chuckle at them along with Josh.

"Hey Maria," I shout, looking over my shoulder once again to meet her green eyes which stare at me intently.

"Yeah?" she replies, questioning my light tone with a hint of mischief.

"Stop beating up your brother!" I tease and laughter erupts from around the packed car. Except for Toby, that is, who grumbles at me sulkily.

"I'm not fragile," he mumbles and I scoff before turning to stare out of the smeared window, not entirely sure where we are, and watch the trees slowly fade into houses and shops. The process is so smooth and seamless that I almost don't recognise it's happening. Jaz snuggles into my lap and I stroke her silky fur gently, her unquestionable loyalty even through danger warming my fingertips.

Josh pulls up in a quiet street and cuts the engine without a word, I check the littered road one more time before deciding it's safe to get out of the car. We all shut the car doors noiselessly and look around the deserted street, newspapers blow across the road and fruit and vegetable stalls lie upturned. The stench of mouldy farm produce making me wrinkle my nose up in disgust, my stomach churning at the rancid smell.

A shiver rolls down my arms and legs; I wrap my arms around my body and stare down at my clothing. New clothes probably wouldn't be a bad idea, I decide, whilst looking around the group. I walk over to a clothing shop and slowly walk inside, hearing Ashia's cooing as Josh tickles her gently as I disappear inside. I slip through the racks cautiously and grab random items off the shelves before slipping the clothes on, thankful to leave behind my old and torn items. I look down at my outfit critically and stretch in a way to test the sturdiness, the absence of seams tearing earning a nod of approval.

As soon as I see the others are done I walk back out onto the street and over to the car that sits idly on the tarmac, I sit on the sun-warmed bonnet and take Ashia from of Josh's outstretched arms- cuddling her silently. The harsh autumn wind whips my hair around my face and I pull her tighter into my chest, I look up and watch the group around me with a blank expression. Josh and Sophie searching through the stalls for anything we can use, whilst Toby reads through a pile of crinkled newspapers. Maria sits slouched on a rusted metal bench cleaning and sharpening her knives, her face wearing the same uninterested expression.