Chapter 7: The Company

"But I love being scared. I think you are brave only when you do things that scare you." ~ Ginnifer Goodwin

- - -

The coast is just as beautiful as I remember it, though the ocean is a deeper blue colour than the Bristol Channel's waters. The pale blue sky, white sands, sapphire oceans and golden cliffs all stand out in natural beauty, the scene like the front of a postcard or a calendar of British coastlines. Life seems so unreal here, with only a handful of zombies littering the coastal roads and for a moment it's as if there is no zombie apocalypse.

I spot two seagulls flying lazily around the shore, the indigo waves crashing against the sand in white foam. Apart from them, the coast has been lifeless, tranquil in its beauty yet so empty and desolate. I've always loved the peacefulness the beach brings, ever since I was little. My thoughts are interrupted when I feel a sudden change from the smooth road to a pebbly and rocky surface which I presume used to be the car park, now a collection of strewn rocks and scattered weeds- the white parking bays unidentifiable.

We pull up alongside the clifftop and all get out the car slowly, breathing in the fresh air deeply. I reach into my bag and pull out the crumpled map, spreading it across the warm bonnet. I hear Ashia murmur from Josh's arms and I grin at him happily, his eyes reflecting my joy.

"We're here," I say pointing to our location on the creased paper, "and the nearest warehouse is about a mile away here," I state, dragging my finger across the map in a short line. They all nod their heads and I fold the map back up, stuffing it into rucksack messily. 

"So, should we get going then?" I hear Toby suggest, eagerness evident in his voice.

"Yeah we should make it before nightfall if we are going to search the building for any friends!" Maria taunts, her eyes glistening. I take Ashia from Josh and we all slide back into the car without questioning Maria's cruel humour and it's not long before the tires are gliding along the smooth tarmac once again. The dry grass flashes past the window and all too soon Josh slows the car to a stop before turning around.

"You all ready?" he asks and we reply with a silent nod, I take a deep breath and quietly slide out of the car.

I cradle Ashia into my arms and rock her gently, I just hope she can stay asleep whilst we check out the building. I see Maria handing out weapons and she tosses me a long knife with a cruelly curved blade, it spins through the air and I catch with my spare hand- glaring at Maria.

"Heads up!" Maria says after I catch it, a playful smile on her face.

"Yeah," I reply, "thanks for the warning," I huff, strapping Ashia to my chest before I walk over to join the others who are in deep discussion.

"We go around in groups," Toby states, "the two families if you like. Josh, Madeline and Sophie being one, me and Maria the other," explains Toby and I nod, spliting into our respective groups silently.

The warehouse is a fair size with thick steel coregated walls, from the outside it seems as if it could hold at least thirty rooms- but inside it's probably one open-plan space and a few little rooms separate. I look at the flat roof and fields that surround it, eerily perfect. The stunning coast at the end of the sandstone cliffs standing silently behind me, with only one road leading to the warehouse we'll have a good vantage point on anyone approaching.

We walk through one small field of long grass in silence, with the shuffling of footsteps the only source of sound. The hot midday sun beats down on us; I feel sweat trickle down the nape of my neck before being absorbed by my thin blue t-shirt. As we get nearer to the warehouse I think I can make out a shutter that would get us inside, the metal a slightly different shade of grey to the rest of the building. We all weave our way out of the long grass and I stare down at Ashia, my shadow protecting her from the blistering heat. 

"Remember, if the zombies are evoliving, they'll be far harder to kill so be prepared to fight harder and be even more aware of the surroundings," I state uncertainly with them all agreeing silently. Soph walks over to the control panel and fiddles with an array of brightly coloured wires before she freezes and slowly turns to us, a tight smile on her lips.

"Ok, I think I've got it. Are you all ready?" she asks, I give a curt nod and she touches the two wires together.

Nothing happens.

She tries again and this time there are a few sparks but it still doesn't budge, I sigh and look around me once again. As I look back to where our car is parked a yelp falls from my lips before I can stop it. Our car is no longer parked at the field entrance but is disappearing off the cliff, a horde of zombies crashing against it angrily. The zombies turn and start to advance towards us and I gulp, swallowing down my scream. A crash echoes through the fields and the group jump visibly, spinning around to face me.

"What was that?" Sophie and Toby ask simultaneously.

"Our car!" I exclaim- pointing to the metal that tumbles over the cliff and zombies stalking towards us, hunger evident in their eyes.

Soph lets out a gasp and starts to rub the wires together faster, this triggers something in the zombies and they start sprinting towards us. I clear my throat and try not to let despair flood my voice. 

"Um, Soph? Not trying to rush you but please hurry!" I plead and she tries harder- more sparks flying, raining in jets of gold. The zombies only increase their speed and this time I don't care about the desperation that flows through my voice. 

"Soph get that door open NOW!" I practically scream and she flinches at my tone, with a few more sparks rumbling sounds and the shutter starts to open.

I crouch down and squeeze through, yelling for the others to do the same if they want to make it in time. As Toby slides under I slam my hand against the red button and the shutter moves back down again, no sooner has it touched the floor crashes echo through the building and the shutter rattles from the infected's bodies being launched at it relentlessly. Jaz howls at the shutter and Maria shushes her irritably. I step back and pant loudly staring at the rattling movement, I look up and see Josh's ghostly white face sporting a look of complete shock. 

"We have company," he stutters.