Chapter 19

It had been two weeks since I saw Jarrod and today he was being released from the hospital today and he needed somebody to check him out. His mother was extremley sick. I guess seeing Jarrod like this had taken a toll on her. She was on bed rest. The kids spent a lot of time with Tyrone since he pretty much made his own schedule. That mad was truly a gift from God.

"Thanks China for coming." I handed Jarrod an apple and sat down at the corner of the bed. "So you don't want to talk to me?" He asked. "Jarrod...this isn't working out." 

"What do you mean?" He asked me.

"Our marriage, it's not working out."

"Thats cause you been fckin around wityh Tyrone..."

"Jarrod don't start."

"Thats the truth China."

"Jarrod NO, The truth is that I'm sick of living this life with you. I haven't lived yet. I want to go out and do me. I don't want to have to leave the house fearing for my life. I just can't do this anymore." I pulled out some papers and a pen from my purse.

"Whats that?" Jarrod asked me.

"Divorce papers."

"I never thought I would see this day." Jarrod said sarcastically. 

"Jarrod, if you don't do this for me, do it for your kids.."

I sat the divorce papers down on the night stand where Jarrod was resting. I looked at him and repeated myself "...do it for your kids." and I saw myself out of the door.

Within those past three weeks Tyrone let me stay in an apartment he was renting not far from his house. It was a nice and cozy apartment. It was good enough for the kids and I. It was a two bedroom two bathroom apartment. It over looked the ocean and there were lots of stores and resturants around. The kids seemed to like it. When they weren't with me they were with both Tyrone and I. It felt like we were a family. Tyrone loved my kids like they were his own and he took care of me like no other. 

"So did you give him the papers?" Tyrone asked me as he was throwing India up in the air and catching her.

"Yeah I did..."

"What did he say?"

"He didn't say anything..I told him tto do it for his kids and I left."

"So when are you going back?"

"Tomorrow I guess."

"Whats are you going to do if..if he doesn't...sign it?" Tyrone asked me hesitantly.

"I'm not even thinking that way. Like I said, if he doesn't do it for me..he needs to do it for his kids. They shouldn't have to lead a life like this."

I took India from Tyrone and sat her down in her high chair with a bowl of fruit. 

"So whats your plan after the divorce goes through?" Tyrone signaling for me to sit down next to him on the couch."

"Get the hell out of Miami..." I said looking down at my nails.

Tyrone was quiet. I could tell thats not the answer he wanted to hear. 

"I have to move on with my life Tyrone, After this book is finished I have to get out of here. So, the faster the divorce goes through...the faster I can get out of here and start my new life."

"...start your new life with me." Tyrone said quietly.

I looked at Tyrone puzzled. I know we haven't known eachother that long but we had this crazy connection with eachother. I could definitley see myself living with Tyrone and starting a family with him, but was I ready for that? 

"What was that?" I asked him.

"I know we haven't known eachother long but I have stong feelings for you and I know that you have feelings for me too...you're just to scared to show it. I see what you go through and it trips me out how somebody as beautiful and independent as you are could go through such trauma. I would never steer you wrong. I would love you and your kids like my own...but I mean I already do. I'm not asking you to jump into a relationship with me this quick but its definitley something that I think about...I've fallen hard for you China...and even if we never end up being together...just know I'll always be there for you...I hope I'm not being too forward either."

I was speechless. I didn't know whether I should cry...respond...I was blown away. I just reached over and gave him a hug. "Thank you for everything Tyrone...you're truly an angel...and you're not being forward..."

"So where are you planning on moving to?" He asked me.

"Thats a good question, I was thinking California or New York."

Tyrone chuckled but I was being very serious.

"Well atleast you have an idea." He said as he wrapped his arm around me.

"Yeah..." I exhaled and laid my head back. The only thing I could think about was Jarrod and these divorce papers. Once that was finished I was out of here. Never to be heard from again. I hated that I would be tearing Jarrod away from his kids, but he had to get his act together before he could see them again. I couldn't have them living in fear and in danger.

"Thank you for sticking with me Tyrone..you don't even know."

"Thats what friends are for right?" 

I smiled, he smiled back at me and kissed me on my forehead. Butterflies flew through my stomach. I was falling hard for Tyrone and faster than I expected. He was intellegent, attractive, a little older than I am, but I looked past that. He had a lot going for himself. He was the type of person I needed to be with..he's the type of guy I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Jarrods days were over. I was just young, dumb and in love. If we continued on with our relationship Lord knows what could happen next. I knew that Jarrod wasn't going to be let off the hook easliy, so I knew the next place for him would be prision. I couldn't be one of those women who wait for their excon husbands to call and write them. That was just NOT the life I was trying to live. I was content here with my childen and Tyrone. At times it felt wrong but it all felt so real..and so good at the same time..