Chapter 4: Lord Edward

(A/N: Hi guys, if you're reading this, I thank you that you are reading the story further! I appreciate it! Love you guys! Thanks once again to those who have voted and made a comment, it means a lot. I hope you continue to vote and comment, pretty please! :)

(I dedicate this chapter to one of the nice wattpadder out there, "faithrockstar", you really rock!)

=====================

Chapter 4

Valen. Where and when did he hear that name? Lord Edward is sure that he has heard that name somewhere before.

"By the way Valen, why are you not with Melinda or a servant?" Lord Thomas asked.

"I just went to wash my hands Your Highness; I asked Lady Melinda how to find the lavatory." Valen answered politely.

"I see, and again, you do not have to be so formal. You can call me Thomas and my wife has already informed you that you can call her Melinda, but if it makes you so much uncomfortable, then I will not insist, Lady Valen."

"Please forgive me milord, but yes it will make me uncomfortable."

"It is alright Lady Valen, just do not be too formal. Let's go back to the tea spot, shall we?" Lord Thomas invited them.

They went back to where Lady Melinda is and Edward is still thinking where he heard the name Valen. This amusing lady in a cloak really told him the truth that she is with his parents for a tea, but who is she? This is his first time seeing her, but why does it seem that he cannot even look away from her, is it because he is curious as he does not know how she looks like as she is hiding her face behind the cloak? Why does it seem that he is so interested in her, he only met her today. Edward realized that he was in his own little world thinking who this lady is when Lady Melinda interrupted his thoughts.

"Edward, is there something bothering you? You're deep in your thought. I have offered us to sit and you remain standing."

"Nothing too important, I apologize." Edward answered.

Suddenly, the four realized that someone came and turned to see who it is.

"Sir Friedmore, good to see you. Do you have anything to report?" Lord Thomas asked the man.

Sir John Friedmore is one of the chief commanding knights.

"Yes, your highness. I wish to discuss this matter to you right away if that will be alright with you Your Majesty."

"I guess it's very important. Very well, if you will excuse me for a while, just have an urgent matter to attend to. Valen, please stay for lunch, I feel we have not talk much." Lord Thomas smilingly said and walks with Sir Friedmore inside the mansion.

"Oh yes, it is almost lunch time, I didn't even notice. Valen, please stay with us for lunch, okay. I'll just go to the kitchen to see what Mrs. Morris is preparing, she's our best cook. Edward, please accompany Valen for the meantime, do not make her feel bored and just go to the dining area at lunch time. If you will excuse me." With that, Lady Melinda hurriedly went inside the mansion and the two was left at the tea spot.

Edward and Valen remain silent. No one seems to start a conversation so Edward decides to break the silence.

"Uhmm...so..." Edward started. He doesn't even know what to say to her as she doesn't know who she is. "You really did tell the truth that you are having tea with them. " He continued, looking at her bowed head. Valen did not say anything. The lady is still isn't speaking, perhaps it is because she now knows that he is the son of Lord Thomas and Lady Melinda, Edward thought. He wonders what her reaction will be if he provokes her again, perhaps her reaction will be like anybody else. Edward decided to give a try and see.

"Why are you so quiet? Why don't you talk to me?" Edward teasingly asked her. 

"Are you thinking about what happened between us a while ago?" He continued 

"I guess you did not know who I was at first, because I'm thinking that if you do, you would not say those words to me, you would not tell me I was being arrogant, maybe you would just apologize and be too sorry." Edward said grinning, waiting for her reaction.

Valen sighed, and then finally replied. "Lord Edward ...why do I feel that you are provoking me? If you want an answer, then yes, I did not know who you are first. I did not know that the person I bumped to a while ago is the son of the royal couple; but whether or not I have known who you are, my response will still be the same. Being a prince does not mean you're the only one who should be respected, being you do not mean you can just ask or say anything to anyone below you in any manner you wanted to and easily accuse anyone because you think they look suspicious. Respect should be given to anyone regardless of their status. Respect is being earned not just because you are a royalty. Well...having said these, I still apologize for talking back to you like this...you are still the prince. If anyone has witness and seen what I did, they will definitely send and lock me down to the dungeon, or perhaps, there's no need for any witness as you might send me down there yourself."

Edward's mouth hangs open, looks at her in amusement, and then loudly laughs. She's very contradicting, he thought. She just talked back at him and then apologized. No one has ever talked back at him except his parents, of course. He just tried to see what her reaction would be now that she knows that he's the prince of Cellis, but he is more surprised. He thought that she will bow down and apologize like it's the only right thing to do in the world, just like others, especially ladies who definitely will only say sorry and apologize that it looks like it's always their fault. She did not even cower. She's definitely different from the rest. He seems to hear the lady in a cloak said something but he can't seem to stop laughing.

"Lord Edward, what is it that amuses you? I have not said anything funny. I am being serious here." Valen is already getting annoyed as she did not expect this kind of reaction from him. She admits he is definitely good-looking, but still he's an arrogant prince. Valen being already irritated walks past him to leave but was halted as Edward grabbed her arms to stop her from leaving. He looks at her which seems to be a combination of guilt and admiration.

"I am sorry. I did not mean to offend you; I honestly did not expect your reaction a while ago. Apologize for being arrogant, I, too, was surprised at how I confronted you in the hall. I am no perfect man. Please forgive my rudeness Lady Valen." Edward apologized sincerely.

As Edward sincerely apologized, she thought that there's no need to prolong this misunderstanding, she immediately forgave him. "Apology accepted and I apologize too."

"No Lady Valen, I admit it was my fault. With everything that is happening around, and I do not want to elaborate on that, you really look suspicious to me, I am sorry. I should have asked properly who you are; and honestly, I cannot remember where I heard your name, have we met before? I guess I even have not properly introduced myself." Then Edward slightly bowed his head, "Edward Windsen, at your service. It is my pleasure meeting a very admirable lady; I am in awe of you." Edward took her hand and kissed her on her knuckles. Valen froze for a moment when his lips lightly touched her knuckles, and then she blushed. Valen is relieved that she still has her cloak on her head to hide her face turning red. After a few seconds, making it sure that her face has already returned to its normal temperature, she bows, removes the cloak from her head as a respect and curtsies. "My name is Valen, Your Highness, I am a healer which I think your father and mother has wanted to meet. It has been a pleasure to be invited here."

"Yes! Right, the healer the townspeople are talking about!" Edward exclaimed. "I am sure that I have heard your name somewhere, and by the way, you do not have to be so formal. Please call me Edward and I insist."

"If that is your wish, Your Highness..I mean... Edward."

"That's more like it. Please you may stand up." 

Valen stands up. 

Edward looks at her. 

Valen looks at him. 

Then Edward froze.

=====================