Chapter Thrity-Five: My little ponies will be the death of her

My night started off like any other night. But things have been rocky this past month. I rested my head on my pillow and snuggled up to it. Trying to go back to sleep and avoid whatever was poking my sides.

After realizing something was poking me I jumped up, only to see Cierra at the edge of my bed. It was dark but I could still make out the frown on her face and the sadness in her eyes.

"Can I sleep with you?" She asked. I let out a yawn and scooted over. She crawled onto my bed and got under the covers. Snuggled up to my chest as I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her close.

"Another bad dream?" I questioned. As if I even had to ask. "Yes." She mumbled and dosed off. I waited for her to fall asleep before going back to bed. Because I don't feel like dealing with a paranoid little girl.

The next morning was a pretty usual morning. Except for the fact my parents were still in their rooms doing what they've been doing for the past week. I set Cierras breakfast in front of her before looking at the stairs. Neither of my parents appeared and I let out a big sigh. I've made breakfast for myself, Andrew, and Cierra this past week."Andrew grab the toast when it comes out. Your eggs are on the counter." I sighed and jogged up the stairs.

Slowly I walked to my parents bedroom and stood in front of the door. I wasn't mentally or physically prepared. It was quiet, just when I was gonna knock on the door I heard voices. They were whispering. It was clear they were both angry at each other, as they have been for the past week.

"Are you serious Richard? Your unbelievable you know that! I can't believe I married you!" My mom growled. But not loud enough for my siblings to hear. They have no clue what is going on and I'd rather they didn't. I wouldn't want them having the same worries I have. What if my parents get divorced?

"Karyn your being ridiculous. Stop already!" My father growled back. I became annoyed with it and pushed the door open. They turned to face me as I walked into their room. I stood a respectable distance from them. Anger burning in my face. They looked surprised and tried to act like everything was ok.

The same thing they've been doing for a week. Pretending everything's fine when it's not. "Can you guys stop fighting for five minutes and show your kids some attention?" I hissed. Keeping my voice at a low volume to avoid drawing attention to the situation. Cierra is too young to understand all the fighting.

"Blake, honey, we're not fighting. We're discussing-" my mother said but I cut her off before she could finish. "Yeah, yeah whatever. Your discussing issues. It's the same thing as fighting. What's next a divorce paper and a different house every couple nights? Haven't you both screwed up my childhood and Cierras and Andrews enough already?" I hissed again and rolled my eyes. "But whatever. If either of you care, Cierra had another nightmare and she's feeling sick. She threw up three times and she has a fever." They seemed concerned now and immediately rushed downstairs. For the first time in a week they were both on the same page. In a way it was refreshing to see.

After checking Cierras temperature it came back she had a minor fever. They decided to take her to the hospital just to make sure there's nothing seriously wrong with her body. They gave me permission to stay at Landon's tonight. I figured I'd just go to Landon's house now. I don't want to spend another minute here.

***

"Hey babe." I forced a smile as I walked into the living room. His mom and aunt were sitting on the couch discussing paint swatches. Layla was sitting in the corner face-timing her boyfriend. I honestly didn't take her as the type to get a boyfriend, she seemed like the girl more dedicated to celebrity boyfriends.

"Hey." He smiled and stood up. Embracing me in his arms and kissing me gently. I waved to Lisa and Lex before following him into his room. It may only be ten in the morning but I am tired. Especially since I woke up three times in the middle of the night to tend to Cierra. She was too scared to go to mom and dad and I understand why.