9. Waiting Room Conversations

-Hayes Grier-

"Hayes." Alyssa said and looked into my eyes, shaking a bit.

"Yes?" I replied and put my hand on top of hers.

"I'm scared. I.. What if something goes wrong and I.. I.. I don't know.." Alyssa said and a tear rolled down her face.

"Hey, hey. Shhh, it'll be fine. Your surgery will go just as it should. And I'll be right here in this waiting room the whole time, until I can see you again. Okay?" I said and wiped the year from her face.

"You promise?" She said and bit her lip.

"I promise. I'm right here, okay?" I said and she sighed, then nodded her head.

"Okay." She replied and soon she was taken back for surgery.

"You love her, don't you?" Alyssa's mother said and looked at me.

"Yes, actually, I do. I really do." I replied and she smiled.

"I'm glad to hear that. You know why?" She said and I looked at her.

"Why?" I asked.

"Alyssa hasn't been this happy in a really long time. Ever since she met you, she's practically been glowing. She loves you too, Hayes, I know she does. She's just.. Afraid."

"Afraid?" I replied.

"She's afraid that if she gets too attached, she'll end up with a broken heart." She said and I sighed.

"What makes her feel that way?" I asked.

"Well, her father left us when she was five. She loved her father a lot, but he just.. Left." She said.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Mrs Moore. I.. Wow. I'm sorry that happened." I said and she shrugged her shoulders.

"It did hurt me a lot. But, somehow, it hurt Alyssa even more. Ever since, she's had major trust issues." She explained.

"I didn't know that. Oh, wow." I said, trying to think of what to say.

"Regardless, she still loves you so much. She just tries to not love you. The more she tries, the more she loves you. So you better not break her heart, okay?" She said and I nodded my head.

"I'd never. I love her too much." I said and she smiled.

"Good. I'm glad. But just know that if she tries to push you away, you know, she doesn't mean it. It's just her being scared."

I nodded my head a bit.

"Got it. Thanks." I said and she smiled.

"No, thank you." She replied.

"For what?" I asked.

"Making my little girl happy again." She said and I smiled.

"It's my pleasure. I love seeing her happy. She means a lot to me." I said.

"You know, you don't have to stay here the whole time. I'll call you when she's out of surgery, and you can come. She won't know you left." She said and I shook my head.

"I'm staying here the whole time. I want to stay and know that she's okay. I want to be able to see her the second that I'm allowed to. Besides, I promised her, and there's no way I'm breaking that promise."

"You're such a great guy. No wonder she loves you so much." She said.

~~~

By the way, very soon in the story, there will be a little added drama.. There may possibly be another guy in Alyssa's life to pop up.