Chapter 20: "Love Confessions and Self Hatred"

"He's the exclamation mark in the happiest sentence that I could ever possibly write."

Ethan

Kiss me.

I watched them go back to their car, wide smiles on their adolescent faces, their features pleasant and content. The sound of a car's tires against the gravel was heard after a few seconds, and the sound blared in my ears. My heart thumped against my bruised chest, my ribs aching with the intensity of its throbbing, my lungs constricting so hard I was losing breath.

Kiss me.

We walked back to the front door of my house, and a deep silence filled the air in the midst of the whistling wind and distant city noises. It was the kind of silence which demanded answers, the kind of silence that triggered desires, the kind of silence where everything was understood, and yet words needed to be spoken.

Kiss me.

We stood there for a few seconds, the air lingering with the thoughts our hearts seemed to speak aloud, thoughts which beat inside of us as second heartbeats. I looked at him and saw a red hue that tainted his skin, and by god, he glowed. The way the moonlight his face, by god, he glowed. All over.

Kiss me.

Words came out of my mouth before I could stop them, the desire for him overpowered every doubt in my mind, the thought of molding his lips with mine entering every crevice of my being.

Kiss me.

"I had so much fun today, I can't even tell you." I grabbed his hand, and smiled to myself as it instantly turned warm in my hold. The harsh wind whistled as it blew coldly on my skin; but the goose bumps were present for an entirely different reason.

"I'm just-I'm just so happy. I'm just so happy that you came into my life. I can't even tell you." Words failed me once again, my feelings lingering in the air around me, our own little private bubble. "It's crazy. And I'm so happy you had fun with your friends, and I'm so happy that you're happy. Fuck, I can't even make sense of it myself." My breathing was shallow, my heart was wild and my body was paralyzed, and for the very first time in my life, I understood what being overwhelmed by love meant.

Kiss me.

"Ethan." He breathed, his voice thick, rough, pleasant. I positively tingled when my name touched his lips, my body going into a state of euphoria, the most wonderful of feelings. I pushed my forehead against his, our breaths mingling as we breathed life into each other.

Kiss me.

My fingers moved over to his wrist, and my thumb landed right on the place where I could feel his pulse; a place where both our bruised hearts beat as one, a place where our broken pieces entwined, and for once, we were complete, and for once, we were infinite, and for once, we were alive.

Kiss me.

"You're heart's beating like crazy." I said, and I felt his nose twitch against mine, an action which made my heart clench in my chest. I felt close to tears myself, and the emotion I felt in that particular moment was indescribable, and I realized that when it comes to love, all words fail.

Kiss me.

He shakily breathed out my name again and I instantly got swept away by the typhoon of him, a storm which had a name. My lips brushed against his and just for a split moment, I felt firecrackers explode in the hollow of my heart.