CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Start from the beginning

"Put your hands in the air!"

As soon as the officers came into the garage, Nathan put his arm down and allowed himself to collapse. I sat there and watched everything move in slow motion. The cops clasping the man's hands behind his back and pulling him up. His dangerous smile as he looked at me. The cops inspecting John's body on the ground. Paramedics placing Nathan on a stretcher and rolling him outside.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked the officers.

"They're going to everything they can, miss," one of them said. "Can you please give me your name?"

"Hannah, Hannah Collins," I said as my eyes followed Nathan out of the garage.

"I got her," the officer said into a radio. "Miss, why don't we go outside? We need to ask you some questions."

I nodded quickly and followed him outside.

By then, the garage was filled with cops examining everything and it wasn't until then that I felt relief go through my body. It was over. Outside, it was cold and dark but I didn't care. I didn't think I would ever be able to go outside again. The cop had me sit down on the back of an ambulance and a paramedic placed a blanket on my shoulders. Then she began to examine me. I couldn't tell where we were. There were a lot of cop cars and ambulances to see my surroundings but I thought we were in a neighborhood. I thought I could make out houses and businesses which meant this wasn't a deserted place which was good. It was why the cops had arrived here quickly.

"Ms. Collins? Are you alright?" The cop asked me.

"Can you please call my dad?" I chocked out was the tears ran down my cheeks. I felt like a little girl but I didn't care. I just wanted to see my dad. I wanted him to hug me and tell me that everything was going to be okay.

He nodded. "Your family has been contacted and they'll be here soon."

I nodded. "Okay."

"I need you to answer some questions for me, okay?"

I nodded again as the paramedic measured my blood pressure and then checked my heart.

"Did you know either of these men?"

I shook my head. "I had never seen them in my life."

"Did your bodyguard shoot that man?"

I looked at him. "It was self-defense! You can't charge him for that! He was trying to save us!" I cried.

The cop nodded. "I know, miss, I know."

I shook my head as I cried. He stopped asking questions, probably realizing that I wasn't emotionally stable for an interrogation. I didn't know how much time passes before I finally saw my dad. He was looking around until he spotted me. He ran to me and embraced me in a hug which made me cry even harder. He ran his hand through my hair as he held me and I cried onto his chest. He kept whispering, "It's okay, you're okay."

He was proof that this was over. I was going to go home. After pulling away, I noticed Nick and Rachel and then hugged them. My mom was also here. She was looking around, distracted.

"Where's Nathan?" Dad asked after a moment. "Did he-"

"No," I interrupted him. "He was shot, dad, he saved me," I reached for his hand and squeezed it. "Please, he can't die. We have to go, please."

"I'll go check on him. You need to go to the hospital to get checked out," he said.

I shook my head. "I'm fine-we need to make sure Nathan is okay."

"Miss, you have an injury on the back of your head that will need a few stitches," the paramedic jumped in when my dad looked at her.

I sighed. "Fine, but take me to the same hospital they took Nathan."