Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

"Why?" I finally ask after a long pause.

"Because you'll be facing Derek's brother," his voice is hushed and slightly muffled, like he's cover his mouth as he speaks. "Dean. You'll be facing Dean, Dylan. I don't think it's a safe fight. You know I wouldn't be telling you this if I truly did not feel right about it. You know how those two are."

"Of course I do—"

"Your last fight wasn't supposed to happen Dylan. Derek made it so, so that you and Dean can fight and he can get his revenge." Aaron cuts me off, pointing out the truth behind the fight with Juan. Juan was from the West District and I'm from North York. These two areas aren't supposed to fight. But somehow Derek made it so all the districts intertwine...just to have control and power. "You know that he's changing the game for the underground fight clubs. He's putting property down and business deals...he wants control of my gym, Dylan, my gym. If you decline, he can't do anything about it. He'll move onto a different district and leave ours alone—"

"I'm tired of his bullshit!" I bark, cutting Aaron off. "I'm tired of Derek," I spat. "Acting like he can just walk into every district in the city and take over. What's his wager?"

"You lose, he gets ownership over my gym." Aaron's voice is shaky. His gym was his life. He worked hard to get to where he is today. Almost losing it two years ago, to finally getting it in proper shape. "If Dean loses, we claim ownership over his club downtown. You'd get the twenty grand too...the club makes three times the money my gym does."

"I'll do it." I say firmly, nodding my head. "I'll do it man."

"No." I could tell he was shaking his head, probably pacing in his office. "I can't let you. Consequences will come from this Dylan."

"I can beat him, Aaron. I've done it before, I can do it again." I run a hand through my hair, pausing for a moment before saying what Aaron deserves to hear. "I'll win it for you, man. All that debt from starting the gym, that club can help you out. It can put you back on your feet. You won't have to worry about anything anymore."

"Dylan—"

"Call Derek. Tell him I'll do it."

"But—"

"Call him." I say firmly. "Tell him I'll fight."

There was a long pause and for a moment, I thought Aaron had hung up. Sniffles come from the other end and I call out for Aaron a couple of times. He doesn't respond but the sniffles turn into quiet sobs.

"Thank you." He croaks. "Dylan, mate, really. Thank you."

"Aaron, you know I'd do anything for you." I rub my eye, feeling the sting from holding back tears. "You've helped me so much. Put me on the right path. I just want to do the same for you."

"We have a lot of training to do," Aaron announces, the sobs turning back into sniffles. "Dean fights dirty, so I need to get you ready for anything."

"When's the fight?" I ask, walking over to the calendar.

"February 14th." Aaron sighs, and I gulp. Valentine's Day. "That's part of the bad news."

"Damn." I mutter, biting at my nail as I stare at the calendar. Emma and I haven't planned anything yet, but it was Valentine's Day...couples day. Hated the day, but she might want to do something. "What time?"

"Around midnight. You'll have time to do stuff with Emma during the day." Aaron's voice sounds further away, as if he's dropped his phone on the table and put me on speaker. "I need to go Dyl. I have a lot of things to prep. When you're not a work, I expect to see you here, got it?"