IV

Comment & Vote

***

"How do you know Nya? Why is she making you all shaky? Cell what is going on?"

"Chase!" he said stopping my rambling questions. "Leave it alone, please, like for real it ain't even that serious" he said taking off his suit jacket and walking down the hall toward my bedroom. He had ordered me the bed I wanted but it needed to be put together. Cell didn't mind doing it for me, over the years we became extremely close. There wasn't a thing I wouldn't do for this family we have created. As I grew closer to everyone, I faded away from Parker.

"Don't tell me it's nothing Marcell, who is she?" I stood waiting for an answer as he searched for the instructions to the bed. I switched my weight to one foot and crossed my arms. "Well.. I'm waiting"

"Okay.. keep waiting, cus I ain't saying shit. Only person who knows who she is to me.. who she really is to me, is Parker.. and if you wanna make that phone call to find out about my past, be my guest but I doubt you talking to him" he told me, without ever looking at me. It was a low blow, but Cell knew how to get me off of his case.

"Man whatever" I mumbled, shuffling in my slippers back to the kitchen to finish my food. I sat there sipping my wine, listening to Vivian Green's Emotional Rollercoaster, and screaming the lyrics in the most drunken way possible.

"Chase! Put down the bottle. I can smell your hangover now!" Marcell yelled to me from the back. I laughed and continued my drink, as my phone began to ring. It was an unknown caller and I usually wouldn't have answered but Blake from Compton had gotten locked up last year and he did call me periodically just to check up on the family. He and JC had gone their separate ways since Blake couldn't keep his dick in his pants, and JC wasn't the type to be sidelining. He did her wrong as hell, but we all grew up together and he was still my brother.

'Hello' I answered softly.

'You have a collect call from Riker's Island Correctional Facility, do you accept the charges?' I heard the automated voice tell me. My face flew into confusion. It couldn't have been Blake, because he was locked up in Minnesota. I knew no one that was in Riker's but I had to take the call, I was the one to hit when shit went down because I was the one with the brain. These niggas loved to think off of impulse. 'You have a collect call from... Chase it's me baby, please say-.. do you accept this call?' The operator cut off the familiar voice. I quickly pressed one, and stood to my feet.

'Parker what the fuck is going on?! Why are you at Riker's?!' I asked worriedly.

'Baby look, they got me and Nino, Britt should be on her way, look tell Cell that Joe got the juice. Say exactly that baby! exactly that!.. look I gotta go.. Chase I love you.. come see me, I'll explain everything' he said into the phone, in the most sincere voice.
'I love yo-' I was cut off by the beeping of the phone, and the automated voice telling me that the time was up. I felt a lump in my throat, I wanted to cry out and scream. Parker was not just being held in a cell, but he was in prison. Real prison. That shit would change a nigga's life forever. If I thought he was bad before, it would be ten times worse now.

"Cell! Marcell!" I shuffled down the hall to my back bedroom. Out of breath and still carrying a look of distress on my face, I came into the room. Marcell's eyes shot over to me and he became extremely overbearing. He had a look of determination, but also sincere protection. He wasn't sure what had happened but he knew we were in trouble.

"Speak Chase! What happened?" he said walking to me.

"Parker just called me-"

"Okay.. and?"