February 1: And Then There's Jakey

Start from the beginning

"Moving on," I urged. "What are the days that we're going to have our tutoring sessions?"

"I'm not really sure if my activities' schedule is going to handle it but..." He trailed off. I almost smacked him again but then I realized that he's serious.

So, instead I just chuckled at him. His head snapped up to look at my face. "What?"

"Nothing." I said, "You just made it sound like you're a celebrity with packed up schedules."

"Come on, Em." He snorted. "With a face like this?" He pointed towards his face. "It's about time you noticed."

I couldn't help but smile at him. 

Arrogant jerk, I thought.

Suddenly, he snapped his fingers. Just like what they do on cartoons and tv shows when they had a brilliant idea. "I got it! Ms. Sanders said that I'm going to tutor you for two weeks, right?"

"Yup." I replied, popping the 'p'.

Instead of continuing what he said earlier, he grinned. "Don't say/do that again?"

"Why?" I asked him, suddenly confused. 

"You'll spray saliva all over me when you pop the 'p'."

I just gaped at him.

Did he really just say that?! Ohmygosh, I can't believe him! Is he serious? For the first time in so many months, I was completely, ridiculously and utterly speechless.

Then all of a sudden, he laughed. Hysterically. "Your face! So priceless!" He managed to say in between fits of laughter. 

"Wait, wait, wait." I stammered. "So you're just kidding?"

"Of course I'm just kidding!" He said before another round of laughter. 

"Why would you do that?" I accused him but can't help but lose my anger at seeing him like this. So carefree and happy.

"I just wanted to see your reaction!" He said, smiling widely. "I never thought you'd look that way! Your jaw practically dropped!"

Oh yeah? I thought. How's this for a change?

For show, I dropped my head mournfully and looked away from him. I felt him stop laughing almost immediately. As an added effect, I covered my face with my hands, trying to look miserable and feigned crying. I felt him shift in his position so that his body is now angled towards mine. Then, he raised his right hand and softly patted my shoulder.

He cleared his throat. "Hey." He weakly called.

I didn't budge.

"Hey, Em. I'm so sorry." He tried again.

Still no response.

He inhaled deeply before saying, "I sort of went a little too far. I'm sorry, I was just kidding. I really, really, didn't mean it. I was just trying to see your reaction since you have cute ones and I thought you'd laugh with me but I guess I was wrong. I promise I won't do it again and––"

"Chill." I cut him off in the middle of his rant and faced him. "I'm just messing with you."

His jaw dropped, but after seeing my satisfied reaction, he quickly recovered from his bewilderment and frowned at me. "So you were faking?"

I nodded. "Yup. So now we're even."

He didn't respond. Instead, his frown just grew deeper.

"You mad?" I asked him. Suddenly feeling anxious.