27. Our Stars Are The Only Constellation I Want To See

"But Mum! May's here!"
"So? Take her along. Or she can stay and wait till you come back"
"Yeah, I can stay and wait, Gwen" May said slyly. I shot her an annoyed look. I knew what she was implying and I didn't like it one bit.

It was two days after my birthday and my mother, dearest as she was, had decided that it was time for me to go back to the animal shelter. This meant spending time with Dev, and as okay as I was beginning to feel about that, it also meant that May would be snidely hinting at me the whole time. She had made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that she thought Mr. Moron and I had a thing for each other, and just wait and see, Gwen. I would wait and see, alright, but only to watch him burn and boil in my oil of hate. She didn't understand. I couldn't, and I wouldn't, like Mr. Moron. Even if my life depended on it. The only way I'd ever like him if he was the last edible thing on this planet.

Okay that got weird quick.

"Come on" I grouched at her and she smiled sweetly at me. I jammed my glasses onto my nose and looked at the door mournfully. She snorted beside me.
"It's not that bad."
"It's not. But you are"
"Oh shut up, you love me"
"Donut. Just donut"

She grinned and flounced out, leaving me to grumble in her wake. As I shut the door, I couldn't help thinking of how peaceful it was when I'd told her I hated him and she'd agreed. Well that time's long gone, stupid fudging-

"Are you just going to stand there scowling at the door, or are you coming, Weasley?" I rolled my eyes at him. Yep, right on cue, Devon Whitfield, strutting down the side walk like it was a ramp. When I mentioned this, he stopped, made a mock thinking face, and then proceeded to sashay down the sidewalk and off to the animal center.

"I...don't...know...you..."I said, gasping between laughter. May was similarly incapacitated. And that is how we showed up at the animal shelter, scaring Mariam out of her wits with one stupid thing person trying to walk a ramp, and two others drowning in tears of laughter.

"This is May" I hiccupped. Mr. Moron exaggeratedly shook his head and gestured wildly to her. We giggled (although I hate that, but for lack of better word) and Mariam smiled nervously.
"I hope she can work with us today?" Mariam sighed
"Yes, I suppose she can"

ᴥ ᴥ ᴥ

"Destiel will be canon. You just wait"
"It will not be canon because Die is canon"
"I think it's more canon than canon" I said snorting. Yes, we were arguing about Supernatural. Again. But it was an inexhaustible source of interest. Sue us.
"I have to agree with May on that one. Die is canon. Sorry, Gwen" Dev said making a face. I scowled at him. Sure, take her side. Idiot.
"Fine" I said harrumphing, bending to fill Milo's bowl "But Destiel is subtext" I whispered to him. He woofed at me, wagging his tail. Dev raised an eyebrow.

"See? He likes you. And you like him." he said, grinning down at me. I rolled my eyes at him, but didn't protest. What? I didn't like all the dogs. Just Milo. And Lady. And Casper. And Hunter, Dasher, Pongo, Penny, Po-
"Gwen's a right old softy, she's just surly and mean all the time to cover it up" May teased, cutting through my mini mind-rant. I scowled at her "Am not"
"Are too"
"I am not a softy Mayella Parks and if I have to cut you to prove it, I will"
"You won't cut me" she chuckled
"Maybe not" I admitted "But I will stuff dog food down your front" and with that I was chasing her round the kennels. Okay, I was acting like a child, but she was being impertinent! I, personally, think she deserves dog-food down her blouse. May shrieked with laughter and the dogs joined in. Soon their barks echoed through the room and we had to stop and quieten them down. I used this opportunity to quietly let some of dry food cascade into her top. "Gwen!"
"Sorry not sorry" I laughed and she stepped out of the room, intending to clean the mess I made up. She glared at me as she left and Devon laughed. I grinned up at him and we cleaned up, going over the bowls one last time before packing the food away.
"Cats now?" he asked, dusting his fingers off. I nodded eagerly, earning a chuckle from him, and we closed the door behind us. Kitty kitty kitty.