Chapter Twelve: Blood and Sparks

He'd been drugged again. He knew it. Jeff forced his eyes to open, staring groggily up at the sterile ceiling. Bright light blared down at him, and voices met his ears.

"Are you sure about this procedure?" Someone was asking.

"Of course." That was Dr. Hauser. Jeff recognized him way too clearly. "I want to figure out what makes these...things...special. I want you to perform the procedure now."

"Doctor," the man said with a sigh, "you're all but asking me to perform an autopsy on a live body."

"It's not an autopsy."

"Still. You want me to slice this boy open and poke around in there. This could kill him."

"A bullet to the brain didn't kill him," Dr. Hauser stated, "this won't result in death. Besides, even if it did kill him it would show us how to deal with these things."

"But-"

"He killed nearly twenty police members. He's not normal." There was a pause and then a soft sigh.

"Fine," the other man said, "but stay back. I can't do this if you're hovering over my shoulder." He heard footsteps and suddenly a man he didn't recognize way beside him. He checked a machine beside him, ensuring the drug dosage was where he wanted it. When that was done he grabbed a scalpel and returned to his side. He wanted to protest, but his body wouldn't respond. He only then realized he was basically naked on the table, his boxers the only thing still on him.

"Don't forget to keep the wound open," Dr. Hauser said, "he heals faster than you'd expect." The doctor beside him rolled his eyes before pressing the scalpel against his breastbone. Slowly, the blade sank in and sliced downwards, ending just above his navel. A groan finally escaped him, and the doctor pulled back with a look of horror.

"This is unnatural," he said, placing the bloodied scalpel aside and moving towards the machine, "I apologize. I'll up the dosage right away and you won't feel a thing." Dr. Hauser grabbed the man's wrist, pulling him back.

"Leave it," he commanded.

"I will not," the doctor said, "he's conscious and in pain. As it is what we're doing breaks ethical code. I cannot allow him to-" Dr. Hauser stepped closer, eyes dark.

"Did I stutter?" He asked. The doctor stepped back.

"N-no sir."

"Then when I say leave it, leave it alone. Now, continue your observations." The doctor swallowed thickly and turned back to where Jeff lay. He glared at the man, but had no ability to do anything else. The doctor shot him another look of pity before lifting the scalpel again. More skin cut, and Jeff grit his teeth. Dr. Hauser stood behind him, watching with a cold, calculating look.

'What the hell is this man doing?' He wondered. He heard the scalpel be set down again, and fought to raise his head. He was unsuccessful.

"Sir...what am I even looking for?" The doctor asked. Dr. Hauser sighed and stepped closer.

"Anything that's out of place," he said. The other man sighed, moving to take a closer look at the wound.

"The gash in his torso is what's currently out of place," the man muttered. Jeff wanted to snicker, not sure what to think of this man.

'He's amusing for sure,' Jeff thought, 'even knowing how many I killed, he's still trying to play the good doctor. I'll never understand that.' He smirked to himself, thinking about how stupid this all was when something made him feel sick. He groaned again, finally managing to lift his head enough to see what was happening. His torso of sliced open, revealing his internal organs. The man was peering at him with a calculated look, Dr. Hauser standing close behind him. The man was gingerly looking around in him, gentle fingers probing in places they should not be.