Chapter 8 - What She Said

Ty called ahead to book their reservation to Tomato Terrace and that night, they walked down to the restaurant in their nicest clothes. Rory was okay with it as long as she didn't need to wear makeup. Ty suggested it'll make her look nice in public but that's all he said about it. "I don't care what other people think. Remember that time my shirt tore and we walked home through town?" She asked.

"Yeah. I guess. If I'm fine with it, then I guess you'll be ok." Ty shrugged.

"That's more like it." Rory said softly pushing on his cheek with her fist.

Ty smiled and folded his arms. "You do look beautiful though."

"I look like a peacock." She said gesturing to her green and blue dress and ruffled up the skirt.

"But peacocks are pretty!" He groaned and broke his fake attitude with a chuckle.

"Peacocks are boy birds!" She put her hands on her hips.

"Alright fine. But you still are stunning in that dress." Ty walked around and hugged her from behind.

She held her head back against him and put her arms over his. "I wish we could just have a casual date at McRonald's or something. And dress up in our sweat clothing and you not wearing pants." She opened her eyes and blushed at that last part.

Ty smiled and kissed her cheek. "We'll do that anytime you want."

She smiled back and turned her head to kiss him on the lips. "That makes sense since you always just let me choose. We'll do it your way tonight."

He smiled widely where it started to hurt. She giggled. "Don't worry, Ror. I'll let this night be about you."

She turned away from him. "I don't think so. You deserve so much from me, Ty."

"I already got so much from you." Ty said.

"You still deserve more." Rory said looking down. She thought of something very big and life changing. On their date, she'll ask him something that'll change their lives for the better.

"You being with me is the greatest gift, Rory. I couldn't ask for anything more." He put a hand to her cheek. "Now come on. We're gonna miss the reservation."

Rory smiled and took his hand.

They went inside and were guided to their table in the corner of the restaurant. They ordered the drinks and were presented with the complimentary bowl of breadsticks. Rory took one and stuffed it in her mouth.

"You know, Rory. I only have a few months left before I graduate." Ty said.

"Yeah. I know, babe." She said chewing on another breadstick.

Ty found it really cute that she had terrible table manners. She actually had table manners, she just didn't need to use them at all around him. Tonight she seemed really hungry however.

"That means I gotta find another job. I'm hoping my music career picks up and we can finally have enough money to....do whatever together." Ty said. He started munching on a breadstick.

"Yeah. Me too." She said with a mouth full of breadsticks. It's not every day you get free breadsticks in a bowl.

"You seem pretty hungry tonight." He said leaning over with his eyes narrowed.

"Very. I didn't eat any lunch." She admitted.

"Well don't fill yourself up on the breadsticks. The good food is right here!" Ty said picking up his menu.

"I know....I've just never had breadsticks before." Rory said.

"Say what? This is the first time you've had those?" He asked.

"Mhmm." She said inhaling another breadstick.

Ty took a breadstick and stuck it in the marinara sauce. "Here. Try this." He held it to her mouth. She smirked at him and bit down on the dipped breadstick. Her eyes opened wide and she curled back registering the taste.

"Tyrone. I think I found the one thing that tastes better than your kisses." She said smiling widely at him.

"Oh really?" Ty said realizing his mistake.

She softly punched his cheek again. Her hand reached for another breadstick but they were all gone. "Aww. Sad day." She said looking down at the empty bowl.

"You're too cute, Ror." Ty admitted.

"It doesn't matter. Cuteness won't get me more breadsticks!" She whined playfully.

"That's ok. I know what cuteness will get you though." He said.

"What's that?" She asked.

"Anything on the menu." Ty held it up for her to see.

"Alright. If it tastes better than breadstick, which it won't, I'll be fine!" She huffed and folded her arms.

Ty laughed and she soon joined in. After that they simply stared into each other's eyes. "R-Rory?" He asked.

"Yes Ty?" She asked back.

Just then, the waitress carrying their drinks arrived and then asked if they were ready to order. Ty let Rory order for both of them. The waitress wrote down their orders and walked off.

"Now. You were saying?" She asked.

"I...uhh....S-since the first day I laid my eyes on you, I've been in love with you.....And I...." Ty said.

"Yyyyes?" Rory asked with the slight anticipation.

"When I chose to stay in Gravity Falls and spend my high school years with you, I didn't have a moment of regret. When I'm around you....I feel confident and I feel like I can think better. And i don't feel alone..." He said.

Rory took one of his hands on the table.

"I don't want that to ever end....And I'm pretty sure you feel the same way....right?" He asked.

"Of course I do." She smiled lightly at him.

"Rory Greenwood...." Ty got out of his chair and pulled out the small blue box and held it open to her. He got down on one knee in front of her chair. "Will you marry me?"

She cupped her mouth with her hands. Tears filled her eyes. "Yes! Oh my gosh, yes!" She practically fell out of her chair and into his arms. "I love you I love you I love you!" She said pecking his cheeks multiple times with kisses.

Ty smiled and held her hand out for her. He pulled the ring out and slipping it over her finger, then he pulled her into a kiss. She immediately pushed back into the kiss.

Around them, people cheered and clapped for them. And just in time, their food came. Time sure flies when you're proposing.

She pulled away from him. "You wanna know something funny?" She asked.

"What?" Ty asked with a smile. The taste of breadsticks was in his mouth from the kiss.

"I was gonna ask you to marry me." She giggled.

"Aww. A little unorthodox but I would've said yes." Ty smiled and put his forehead to hers.