Chapter 6: Lost

"Opal! Caspian!" North called out anxiously. He swam about frantically searching every possible location within our general vicinity. The shadow had disappeared, but Caspian and Opal were still gone. We searched most of the reef, well what we could without any sign of our missing companions. North's face changed from worry to an outright panic as he checked every coral four times. Atlas tried to calm him down but cannot calm Opal's poor brother. North's thoughts turned violent as he wanted to attack the human ship because he believed they took his sister. Reef shook his head in an annoyed fashion repeating over and over that they weren't kidnapped by humans. No nets and the front wasn't adorned with an inaccurate portrayal of a mermaid. A dark thought crossed my mind as we continued.

"Atlas?" I asked in a hesitant tone. He nodded to notify me he had heard. "Do you think they were kidnapped by sirens?" Atlas froze; his face turned paler and paler as if his life force was being drained.

"Wh-what? Why would you think that?" He said with worry and fear. "I realize that this quest itself was a life risking experience in itself, but Opal and Caspian are strong warriors. They wouldn't be so easily caught."

I nodded and continued on. Well I technically waited for Coral to get to her brother before continuing to swim. North was next to me, his face, red and puffy. I'd heard legends that mermaids could do something called crying and drops of the ocean dripped from their eyes whenever they were sad. Perhaps that is what North was doing with the stress of his missing sister.

      I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and ran into a rock. My nose was cut and a faint red tint showed up in front of me. The cut began to sting as my hair brushed it causing me to cover it with my hands to protect myself. I clamped my eyes shut from the pain and felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around, expecting Atlas.

      "Are you all right?" North asked with kindness. I nodded, but he didn't buy it. "May I see it?" I removed my hands from my nose to allow him to inspect my poor nose. He began to examine it and I flinched as he touched it. "Don't worry. I'm a healer too." His confident tone allowed me to relax a little bit, but I was still hesitant. North took some seaweed and some weird, sticky substance to keep the seaweed on my nose. I gave a weak smile as thanks for helping me.

As we continued I studied our group and the surrounding scenery. The corals were bright and the fish were even more exquisite than their home. Coral was speaking to Atlas but from her brother's expression she seemed to be scolding him for something. I felt sorry for him and the fact he has lived with that demon for all his life. Coral would glance at me with disgust and then continued shaming her brother. She carried herself with pride and duty. I rolled my eyes and wanted to comfort Atlas. A bright yellow butterfly fish brushed against my cheek. It's fins were soft like a dolphin's skin. The entire environment was alive and happy, but I felt dead inside. Usually the colors would make me smile and now they're just a painful reminder of the sirens. Reef was behind North and I, but his expression was solemn as ever and his eyes were like looking at glass instead of an actual living thing. North was also behind me. I glanced at him. His features gave a melancholy mood, but when he noticed me, he seemed to light up a bit.

It's your fault his sister is missing. You are the cause of his despair and pain and all you do is mess everything up. You can't do anything right. Because of you, Opal and Caspian are missing. They should've taken you. No one would miss you then. My thoughts had turned dark and it should've been me to go missing! I felt awful about it and it was all my fault. If I'd just stay out of Atlas's way, North would have his sweet sister.

"What are you thinking about?" North questioned curiously.

"I'm so sorry your sister is gone. It's all my fault," I explained softly. "I'm so sorry..."

"It's not your fault," he assured me, "no one can take all the blame." His smile lightened my thoughts and I felt somewhat happy about him coming with us on this quest. It was refreshing to have more than one understanding member. I finally feel like I have a family again.

"Thanks North." I smiled at him even bigger than last time.

North and I swam next to each other until night fall. He and I had the first watch so we talked about how much we loved the reef and I asked him what the North was like. He told me he had only heard from his mother. She always said the waters were crisp and always had solid water called ice around. The merfolk got along with the humans there. As long as no one over-fished, everything was good. He asked about my mother and pod. I told him I don't really remember my pod, except that I was to be the next ruler of it.

"What was your mother like? You look a lot like Ala," North noted.

     "She was the kindest female I've ever known. I got her hair and eyes." I continued to describe her in detail. North looked amused and pleased with my opening up to him.

      "She sounds amazing. What about your father?" He asked in fascination.

     My father was a strong leader and always considered his pod before making any decisions. He would always go with the option that had the least amount of consequences.

     "Your pod sounds so friendly. I'm sorry you lost them so young," he said sympathetically.

     "It isn't your fault. Besides I would have never met you." I smiled sweetly. We continued the watch until I had fallen asleep on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1036 words! Are you happy readers? Anyways, so sorry for my prolonged absence. I was busy and couldn't find the time to write. Here is your new. Chapter.

Thoughts on North?

-Hannah