Chapter 40

Darkfire entered camp with a growl as the cats on guard, Twigleg and Brackenpelt as they unsheathed their claws as their fur fluffed up.

"Traitor," Twigleg hissed at Fuzzyfeather. "I thought you didn't love her after she betrayed us...!"

The brown tom's eyes hardened. Darkfire's pelt spiked along the spine and she brushed past them with a spit.

Fuzzyfeather lifted his head and followed his mate.

Darkfire walked past every cat that challenged the young ex-warrior. Rainstrike stood firmly in the center of camp, sorting out patrols. "And Jaymoon, you can accompany Foxt--" He noticed Darkfire. "Would you like to join a patrol, too? Oh, wait, you got banished!" he spat, tail thrashing.

"I know I did. I'm not that mouse-brained. But you," she jabbed a long, fang-sharp claw at his chest, "you lied. You ambitious jerk. You killed. You fibbed. You tried so hard to be deputy, then leader, but you never had the chance to kill Tigerstar. Not just yet."

She flicked her glossy black tail and turned around, facing the Clan with dark eyes. "How did you not figure that out? Rainstrike is the reason Tigerstar is being killed. Rainstrike killed Sunheart. Rainstrike lied about me trying to fight him. Rainstrike is the traitor!"

The cats exchanged glances. "Why would we believe you?"

"The Clan has been in chaos since I left! I was the cat keeping Rainstrike under control. He saw the opportunity to kick me out, and took it." She spun around and faced him. The silver tabby growled. "She's lying!" he protested, but his voice was weak and his eyes were guilty.

The Clan, however, believed Rainstrike. He'd been their deputy for a few moons and after Darkfire left, he'd helped them with two losses.

"He helped," Icepelt pointed out. "When we lost Flowerpool and Whisperflame, he reassured us."

"Flowerpool is dead?" Darkfire gasped. "And Whisperflame!?"

Those two cats knew about his ambitions. Obviously the black and silver Tom wanted to get every cat who had suspicions out of his way.

"Yes," Icepelt pointed out. "Leave now."

Darkfire backed up angrily. "No, Icepelt. No. Rain strike is a liar. A theif. A murderer. Yet you think I lie when I tell you?"

The sleek tabby growled and continued on, wreathing around Icepelt with a twitch of her tail. "A bunch of cats have been killed. Each time, Rainstrike comes home with the body. No cat else. Tiger star has been losing lives, and is too weak to explain why. But it only happens when Rainstrike goes into his den. He tells you not to come with him beciase Tigerstar is sick, but our loyal leader is not."

Icepelt broke away. "Spy!" the glossy white warrior accused. "You have been spyin--"

Fuzzyfeather cut the angry cat off. "I told her, Icepelt. She's figured it out. Rainstrike wants to be leader. It's getting obvious," he pointed out.

Darkfire grinned. "He's right. Now who do you believe?"

Jadefeather dipped her head. "I think I believe you."