Chapter six

(Jade's POV)

"Caleb..." I smiled. He returned the grin and rested his head against my shoulder.
"I can play guitar too," he smiled. I laughed a little, stood and let Firefly muzzle at Hero. "Look, Jade..." He looked up, guiltily.
"What's wrong?" I asked
"The Sheriff... He's sent a search party to find you..." He shuffled his feet about "I was sent to find you. They think I'm going to take you to the Sheriff. I'm not going to though... But, you'll need to hide. Please, believe me..."
"I believe you. I always know you were here to hand me in. If you had wanted to, you would have done so before," I put a foot in the stirrups and swung myself onto Firefly's back. Caleb mounted Hero.
"You see that Ranch," I pointed at the old house with a barn and acres of land. "I'd like one like that some day..."
Caleb nodded. "Yeah, same. Enough land for Hero to gallop around in, space for a dog and a nice big house for me to share with some pretty dame..."
"I'd prefer if you called me by my name," I joked; I was sure Caleb flushed bright red. I laughed and kicked Firefly on. We travelled up town. Caleb explained they'd be searching the other side of town so we'd be safer on this side. We hid behind the abandoned barn.
Caleb went into the barn and tied Firefly and Hero up. He explained that the Sheriff knew what Hero looked like and, from eyewitness accounts, he probably knew what Firefly looked like.
Caleb and I hid in the barn loft, behind some hay bales. Caleb decided to go and try to find them. He could make them go another way; They'd trust him. He untied Hero and rode off into the town.
I was left alone. The barn loft was dark and the floor was left with hay and straw scattered everywhere.
The day was ending; The sun was setting. I kept my head low, in the hopes of them not spotting me.