Chapter one

(Caleb's POV)

I put my foot into my horse's stirrup and pulled myself up to sit in the saddle. I turned back look at the Sheriff.
"Be careful, Caleb," Sheriff Marshal called from his office's door
"I will," I tipped my hat, politely, before pulling it down to protect my eyes from the scotching heat. I clicked my tough and kicked my heels. Hero trotted off and I gripped my reins, tighter. He broke into a canter and I relaxed in the saddle a little.
I slowed as I reached the centre of town. Hero stood still so that I could dismount and tie him to one of the posts outside of the saloon.
I knew my mission; It was simple really. I was to find Jade Evans, a notorious criminal, and bring her to the Sheriff. She's stolen and killed and endangered the innocent. I wouldn't find it hard to lock her away myself. I had been told she was around this area by witnesses and I could only guess she'd be around here.
I walked in through the saloon doors and made my way to the bar. I had to act naturally and tried not to attract too much attention. The bar man looked at me before asking,
"What will it be?"
"Brady and soda," I replied and pushed my hat down again, covering my eyes. He nodded and went about pouring a glass full. I scanned the area. There were a group of men playing cards at a table and a crowd of miners drinking on the other side of the bar. The only women I could see were a small group of dancers entertaining some young men. I turned back to the bar men as he handed me the glass.
"Thanks..." I nodded, gratefully. I took a sip and placed the glass back down. "You seen a girl 'round here with black hair and green eyes?"
"No, sir," The bar men told me, as he cleaned a glass with a cloth "Unless you're talking about Miss Evans..."
It seemed Jade was pretty famous around here. I nodded a little and then spoke up.
"Yeah, that's the one," I looked at my drink and took another sip
"I guessing you're some kind of a lawman, then," He began to clean another glass "She's around here, normally is. No idea where she would be now though," He looked at me, intently, before speaking again
"Are you that Dale kid?"
"Yeah, that's me but I'm not a kid," I said, slightly defensively "I'm twenty-one," I added
"Yeah," The man replied "Just know that she means business,"
"So do I," I finished my drink and pushed it forward. He took the glass and left to serve someone else. I heard the saloon door creak open and slam behind whom ever had just entered. The room went silent. I felt the strange feeling of being watched. A young woman sat beside me.
I turned to see a lady of about twenty wearing high boots and leather chaps. She had a button up shirt on and a hat shading her face. Mid-length black hair fell down her back and she looked up at the bar men with her piercing green eyes.
"Fill this one up with whiskey," she gave him a liquor bottle. The man took the bottle and filled it to the brim before giving it back. The woman passed the man some money and stood up, ready to leave. I left my money on the bar in front of the man before following the woman. She mounted a horse, a liver chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail, and began to ride off. I took Hero's reins in my hand and lead him towards her. She hid behind a barn and tied up her horse. I went in side the barn and tied up Hero, inside of a stall. I went around to were she was standing.
"Up your hands," I spoke, in a deep, gravely voice and pulled a loaded gun up to woman's head.