» Sixteenth Cake

Start from the beginning

Throwing my worries for the meantime, I approached her and asked, "Missing me?"

She looked up at me and smiled. "No, I'm missing lunch. What took you so long?"

"Thinking of you took me so long," I said truthfully and grabbed her hand to lead her inside my room.

She collapsed on the couch while I headed to my mini-fridge and opened it. Dad demanded Enrique to load it with food for both of us whenever he has time to go to school so it was almost full.

"Pizza?" I asked, glancing at my angel while she was scanning some stack of envelopes in her hands. She nodded so I took a box of pizza and two bottles of ice tea before I stuck the pizza inside the microwave.

Putting our drinks aside, I sat beside her and hugged her around her waist while I rested my chin over her shoulder. "What is that?" I asked, pointing at the envelopes she was holding.

"Love letters."

I laughed. Of course, Khloe wasn't my only competition.

"Let me see," I said so she handed it out to me.

While we were eating, I read all the letters like it was a threat but I found it was all lame while they confessed their feelings to my Quinn like she was an easy girl. There was someone who even wrote that he was struck with her beauty the first time he laid his eyes on her and declared that he already loves her. Saying he would catch a grenade for her, throw his hand on the blade for her, jump on the train for her, and would take a bullet through his dumb brain for her. It was so clichéd.

I was laughing the whole time while Quinn commented that I was such a dull person. She even planned to reply to every letter so my laugh grew louder.

My Quinn was so nice but the letter contained sweet words yet it filled with emptiness. I didn't even know who was behind the names in each letter so I knew that they were kind of people who were under our social ladder. They had so much confidence in confessing such daring words but they didn't even dare to tell their feelings to my Quinn in person. Of course, they must be intimidated by me because I was with her all the time while the trouble Khloe was with her during lunchtime.

The witch's name made me grimace like it was a lethal toxic in my brain. But after reading all the literal confession for my angel, I considered her declaration like every word in each of the letters. It was all empty assertions. She didn't have enough proof that she loved her strongly so I was convinced that what she said last night was nothing but a meaningless statement.

"What are you thinking?"

Quinn's question took me out of my reverie as she stroked her fingers against my cheek. I gulped, taking in all of her beauty. How could this beautiful girl experience something so tragic? Did someone punish her from coming down from heaven? Or someone wanted to torment her for receiving such a godly beauty?

Her brows crumpled in worries. "Seriously, you've been in another world since this morning."

I laughed weakly and then held her hand. "Quinn... I just want you to know that you can tell me everything."

She smiled and nodded. "Cool."

I raised my brow, wondering that expression wasn't suitable for her sweet personality. Lifting her hand to my lips, I kissed it softly and looked into her eyes. "I am serious, Quinn. You can tell me everything."

She avoided my stare, looking down like my gaze was something she couldn't bear to maintain. "Where is this coming from?"

"Who's taking care of you?" I asked, averting the question about her parents by asking obliquely. I knew if I asked about her parents, it would hurt her certainly. But at the same time, I knew it was ineffectual.