CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

"Hey," the taller man said as he kneeled in front of me. "Hey, don't cry, babygirl."

"Who are you?" I demanded trying to sound brave but my voice was shaking and I wasn't sure I was even making sense. "What did you do to him?" I cried.

"Stop crying," He ordered and he reached out to clean the tears on my cheeks but I turned my head to the side, feeling disgusted just by thinking about his touch.

He smirked. "You're even more beautiful in person, Ms. Hannah."

I gulped, as I tried to force myself to stop crying. "What do you want? Why are you doing this?"

He stood up in front of me. "It's nothing personal, darling, this is about money. If you behave-nothing's going to happen to you."

I looked at him for a moment, trying to decide whether I believed him. That's when I saw the wall behind him-it had pictures of me all over it. Pictures from magazines. Most of them I was walking in the street or having dinner with my dad. Others were family pictures-he had cut it up so that it was just me. I thought I saw some of them from when I was in Miami.

He had been following me.

He had been following me all of this time and I never suspected it. I didn't think it was real-the thought of someone wanting to do anything bad to me and now he had kidnapped me and probably killed Nathan. My mind was going crazy as I tried to fit all the puzzle pieces together.

"You tried to kill me," I accused looking at him. "In Miami-you tried to kill me an-and you killed people!"

"We weren't trying to kill you!" He said slapping his palms on his hips. "We were trying to kill him!" He said pointing to Nathan on the floor. "It would have been easier to take you with him dead but he caught on to us," he said nodding his head as he crossed his arms on his chest. "I gotta give it to him-he was quick. Not that it matters because he's going to die anyway."

"No," I said quickly, "Please don't hurt him. None of this is his fault."

He chuckled. "He has been in my way all this time-he still is."

"No," I shook my head. "Please, I'm begging you. Don't hurt him. My dad-he would pay whatever you ask him to pay but please don't hurt Nathan."

"Interesting," he said thoughtfully. "You really believe your father would pay to save this-fucker's life?"

"Yes," I said quickly. "He would. Just let me speak with him. I'll tell him."

He chuckled. "You don't think I'm that stupid right?" He turned to look at the other man and shook his head. "This girl thinks I'm an idiot."

The other man chuckled.

"I don't even know where I am!" I sobbed, miserably.

"Shut up!" He screamed at me then leaned in until his face was only a few inches away from mine. "Shut the fuck up!"

I pursed my lips, forcing myself to stop crying though the tears continued to roll down my cheeks.

"I already told you-I'm not going to hurt you," He said in a more quiet voice. "I couldn't hurt you."

I couldn't hurt you...what did that mean? He could definitely hurt me if he wanted to. There were two of them and only one of me and they were much bigger and stronger. Since when did kidnappers have sympathy for their victims?

He cleared his throat as he straightened up. He looked at me for a moment and I wished I could read his mind. He finally turned around. "Come on, John, let's do some business." He said.

"Yes, sir," John said as he followed him. They disappeared through a door.

I finally let go and began to sob again. I was so scared, so desperate. How many days had passed since they took us? I realized that I was still wearing the dress from Christmas Eve but I wasn't wearing shoes. What happened to George? How were those men able to reach the house without any bodyguards noticing them? Who was this man? But most importantly, what had they done to Nathan? I just wanted Nathan to wake up. I wanted him to be alive.

I knew they had hit me on the head, there was a constant shot of pain that was there to remind me.

The room was quiet for a long time. Only the sound of my sobs and something dripping somewhere filled the room. When I was able to clear my sight, I looked around for something-anything that could help is. I spotted a screwdriver on the floor but that was it and it was too far. I didn't know what to do-Nathan would.

"Nathan!" I whispered looking up at the ceiling. "Nathan, please open your eyes. Please."

He couldn't be dead. He couldn't be.