6: First Day of School

Start from the beginning

"What plan," I ask hesitantly.

"Before I explain, you have to promise to hear my whole entire plan before you say no."

I knew that the plan wasn't gonna no to be one that I like, but once you start to tell me something you can't stop. I have to know all. "Fine."

"I want you to pretend to be my girlfriend." The word no was right at the tip of my tongue, but I suppressed it when Landon gave me a pointed stare.

Instead I said, "why on earth would you want me to pretend to be your fake girlfriend?"

"Tell you later," he said and looked up. I looked up as well realizing that we walked all the way to the fourth floor without me noticing. Reaching for the handle and twisting it, Landon pushed open the door on top of the celling, brought the ladder down, and climbed up. I followed after him and saw that everyone else was already here, comparing schedules with the cowboy.

~•~•~•~

When the five minute bell rang we all left the fourth foot and walked to our first period. I had English with both of the twins and Travis Hillwood. We all waked together, Jenna chatting away with the cowboy and me not really listening.

All of a sudden I feel my backpack being lifted off my shoulders. "Let me help ya with that," Landon said with a cheeky smile.

I knew that this was all part of his plan. "No it's okay. I got it." I said a little forcefully.

He smiles shaking his head, "no no. I insist."

I looked and saw that we have now gained the attention of Travis Hillwood and Jenna. Jenna motioned for me to give it to him. I sighed and let him take it wondering what are they up to now?

We walked into class and sat down. I sat down at the front of the class with Landon beside me, Jenna behind me, and the cowboy diagonal from me.

I looked around the room smiling, Mrs. Humfrey hadn't changed it since I had her my freshman year. It was obvious that she had a thing for cheetah print and the color red. The room just contributed to how sweet and playful she is. I am so happy to have her again.

The bell rang and Mrs. Humfrey walked in with her big kind smile that already started to get me excited for the class. "Good mornin'! Happy Monday," she says in her usual cheery voice.

~•~•~•~

I walked out of my government and economics class and fought the urge to run downstairs to escape in the trainer room. I was sick and tired of sitting all by myself, trying to tune out the whispers about the cowboy.

The worst was theater. I didn't even want to take the class but I need a fine arts credit to graduate and art was off the table considering I have no artistic abilities at all. And to top it all off, Travis Hillwood was in the class and sat down right next to me!

Why couldn't he have sat down somewhere else? Didn't he want to make new friends? Why was he so insistent on being around me and making my life so much harder?

I ran down three flights of stairs and turned into the athletic hall. I didn't slow until I entered the training room where I immediately felt at ease.

I let out a sigh of relief and flung my backpack on to a chair in the student room. "I made it," I breathed out.

"Annabelle, is that you?"

"yes sir." I answered Mr. Helburn, the head athletic trainer, who stood in front of the student room looking stern as always.

Hollis Helburn is in his late forties, has no children, and is unmarried. He stood at a hight of 6'4'', with broad shoulders, a muscular built, and a mouth that hardly ever grinned let alone smiled which has always made him look disgruntled. He intimated everyone, including the players. In fact, I think that the players are more afraid of Mr. Helburn than they are of the coaches, but I know better. Mr. Helburn may look tough, and he may get mad at you, yell at you, and make you cry, but if you do what your told and don't slack off he isn't bad at all. He can actually be really sweet and considerate.