9: The "Date"

The "Date"

Telling my parents that I was going to go out on a date with my childhood best friend wasn't easy. Weirdly, they were actually cool with it. Surprised, but cool, and strangely happy. Like they were hoping that one day their only daughter would date a hopefully become a Bradshaw. I guess their little jokes about it when we were young weren't actually jokes. I felt guilty for giving their hopes up since Landon and I aren't a real couple, but mostly upset that that's what they want. I mean, I knew they secretly wanted Hunter and I to be a thing for years, but now it seems as if they don't care which Bradshaw boy I date.

I was just glad that Landon planned the date on Sunday night instead of Saturday night. I really don't think I could have dealt with church this morning if that had been the case. Especially since I still haven't been able to talk to my nana and make amends. I was still upset about what happened three weeks ago. I couldn't face her, not yet.

"Annie! Are you almost ready? Landon will be here any minute," my mama called from downstairs. I could practically hear the smile that I knew she wore brightly on her face.

She had already sent me back upstairs to change twice. Since it's not a real date I thought I could go more casual, like it was just another hang out with a friend. But it's a real date to everyone besides Landon and I and in my mama's words, "no daughter of mine is gonna go on a date dressed like a homeless person!" Though comparing me to a hobo was a little extreme, I was just in leggings and my oversized trainer spirit jersey. When I can back down a second time wearing jeans and a flannel, she lost it. She dragged my back upstairs, rummaged around my closet, laid out an outfit for me, and walked away before I could protest.

It was a skirt. She laid out a skirt. A cream eyelet skirt. It's not that I didn't like the skirt, but it was the fact that I had to wear it on a date with Landon. He'll make fun of me!

I contemplated not putting the on the outfit, but I would only land myself in trouble with my mama. And if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

I slipped on the skirt, a denim shirt that I had tied around my waist, and a pair of my nicer cowboy boots. I looked at myself in the mirror. "It's not too bad. It's a more casual dressed up look."

"Annabelle!" Mama yelled again.

"Comin'!" I walked down the stairs and stood on the bottom step waiting for inspection.

She nodded, "pretty. But it won't kill you to put some makeup on."

"I actually think it might."

"Annabelle," she said in a warning tone.

"Oh alright," I frowned. "But only powder and lipgloss."

She gave me a satisfied smile and pulled her makeup bag from behind her back. I gave her a quizzical look. She shrugged, "thought I would need it after you came down the first time."

I took the bag from her and quickly applied powder to my face and a shimmery pink lipgloss to my lips. "Happy?"

"Immensely. Look at you. You're prettier than a blue ribbon lamb on a fair day," she gushed.

"Thanks mama." I couldn't help but to smile. I may not like this situation or that she is so happy because of it. But I do like making her happy. I love it when I'm able to put a smile on her face.

The doorbell rings and she jumps up her smiling growing even bigger. "He's here!"

"Honestly Mama, you're actin' like you are the one going on the date not me." I laughed at her.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. I just. It's just. Well... You haven't been on a date since River and it's exciting for my not so exciting life. I guess I just have to live through your youth." My smile fell at the mention of River.