6: First Day of School

First Day of School

Today, the last Monday morning in August, is always one of the busiest and loudest days of the year. Today was the day that all the kids waved goodbye to everything that had to do with summer (except the heat, of course) and said hello to school again rather unwelcoming. All the kids were either crying, moaning, or groaning while the parents were silently cheering.

I got to school way early because if I didn't I would be stuck in traffic and trying to find a parking spot. Our school is for grades K-12, so pretty much everyone was gathered here. The school was not very wide but it was tall. It was three stories with the elementary kids, cafeteria/gym, and all athletics on the first floor, the intermediate kids on the left and the junior high kids on the right of the second floor, and the high schoolers on the top floor.

I was leaning up against my truck in my usual parking spot, waiting for Jenna and Landon. But it wasn't just going to be them. Travis Hillwood would also be there. It was the end of the era of just the three of us.

I didn't really think about it until Mrs. Numrey pointed it out yesterday. She didn't mean it to be malicious, but what she doesn't know is that I went home and mourned the loss. Some would argue that it was a gain not a loss. I'm gaining a new friend, but I don't want to be friends with the cowboy. I don't want to be anything with him. He is just an annoying distraction who complicates my life.

I felt an arm flung over my shoulder. I looked up and saw Landon grinning down at me. "Deep in thought, are we?" He joked. "Thinkin' of ways to whip your newbies into shape?"

I laughed, "no. That was last night. I have a good plan to filter out the freshman who are only doing trainer to get guys."

"Don't be too mean," he smirked.

"I won't," I defend. "I don't wanna scare the good ones away. Speakin' of the bad ones; where's Jenna?"

"She was awful. Wasn't she?" He laughed remembering Jenna's freshman year when she did trainer with me. "I think she went with Travis to go to the front office to pick his schedule up. She said that they would meet us on the fourth floor."

The fourth floor wasn't actually another floor. It was the roof. But it is a legend at McCarthy K-12. It's been said that there is a pool, an arcade, and all other types of crazy things up there. Sadly none of that is true. There are just a few lawn chairs and an old radio that someone must have set up there a long time ago.

Only a few know where it is. My dad and Dan found it their sophomore year and they gave us little hints and tricky riddles to find it. Landon, Jenna, and I found it our freshman year. We shared our discoveries with Bethany, Brittany, Jay, Cricket (who plays the keyboard in Landon's band) and Sterling (who plays bass guitar in the band). Besides us no one else in knows where it is.

"So we are just gonna let him up there?!" I exclaimed. "We hardly even know the guy! The fourth floor is not just somethin' to share with just anyone!"

"Wow Annabelle," he said hold his hands out in front of my face. "Chill. I don't see what the problem is. It is not that big of a deal. And if keepin' the fourth floor to yourself is so important than lower your voice, because the way you are yellin' everyone is gonna know. Plus, I thought you were gettin' to like Travis. You know with the whole goin' out for a ride thing and sitin' next to him in church."

"No. I am not," I said crossing my arms over my chest.

"Good," he smirked and walked away.

I stood there for a second trying to process what he just said. What the heck?

I chased after him and grabbed his arm pulling him back and facing me. "What do you mean by good?"

"I have a plan Annabelle Storm. A big one. That I can't do without your assistance," he says starting to to walk again.