To Heal (part 1) (Gale)

Guide:

(Y/N): Your Name

(A.N. WHOOP! I'm finally starting something that ISN'T BH6 related, so wish me luck!)

Grab the herbs, ground them, package them, tie the bag up, label the bag, pass it down, repeat.

This was literally your entire routine every single day as you worked alongside your new best friend, Katniss Everdeen, in District 12, taking over her mother's old apothecary. It's only been a few years since the rebellion, and after the remains of the ashes faded away, new life has sprung from the grounds in the Meadow and outside the fence, which was no longer electrified. As a result, District 12 has become the district for medicine, not coal, since the mines were already shut down a long while ago.

Pushing the hair out of your eyes, your fingertip lightly grazed across the sweat beading on your forehead, and you grimaced. It's always been like this-sweat so hard you could practically boil an egg under the heated conditions you were working in. But you didn't mind. It got you to bond closer with one of the people you admire the most, and not just because she was the Mockingjay and endured so much throughout the rebellion.

"You're so quick at this," Katniss marveled, smiling as she saw you finish what might be your 50th package of the morning. "How do you do it?"

You shrugged and smiled. It wasn't really easy to let Katniss loosen up, but once she does, she can really be a great person to get to know. "I just keep myself focused on the task at hand," you simply answered. "If anything, I try not to think about...you know..."

"The rebellion," Katniss murmured.

You turned about to see her with tears shining in her eyes. Of course. Being the Mockingjay didn't mean that she had all the perks. She lost so many people in the fight to the Capitol, to kill once and for all the person who betrayed her. Slowly, you approached her and gave her a side hug.

"Katniss, it won't be easy to forget the faces of the people who died for you," you murmured. "But just know that I'll always be here if you ever need me. I'll always listen to you."

To this, Katniss looked up to you and smiled a real, genuine smile. "Thanks, (Y/N)."

The sweet moment ended too soon, though. From above, you saw a hovercraft bearing the emblem of District 2 descend from the sky, hovering just above your apothecary. A ramp descended from the bottom of the craft, and a Peacekeeper, dressed in his blinding spotlessly white uniform got off the hovercraft and approached you both, a stern look on his face.

"Good morning," you greeted him, giving him a warm smile. But the Peacekeeper retained his stern look as he addressed you and Katniss.

"Good day," he said sternly, bowing slightly. "There has been an emergency back in District 2 which requires your medical help. Two Peacekeepers-in-training have been severely injured. We need one of you to come over and aid in this situation."

"One?" you asked, inching back towards Katniss. "Why one?"

"The injuries are minor. With luck, they would be recovered soon," the Peacekeeper simply said. "It isn't a necessity to bring too many medics with us to District Two anyway."

You glanced at Katniss, who was as white as a sheet. "It must have been Gale's brothers," she whispered to you.

"Who's...Gale?" you asked her.

"Gale Hawthorne. My...um..." Katniss bit her lip in doubt. "He was my best friend. He used to be, before during the rebellion he indirectly killed my sister on the front lines."