To Heal (part 1) (Gale)

Start from the beginning

"Was he of any importance other than being your best friend?" you asked her further.

"He used to be my hunting partner," Katniss recalled. "We used to go under the fence all the time, to feed our families. We trusted each other."

Your eyes widened. "So for you to see Gale again..."

"It would only make me angry," Katniss said, shaking her head. "(Y/N), you have to go."

"What, why?" you asked. "Surely you can't just go and--"

"I know a fight would ensue between us," Katniss said, a fierce look in her eyes. "And I can't have that kind of thing anymore. Not when Peeta...Peeta and I..."

You nodded in understanding. "Oh yeah. You're together."

Katniss put a hand on your shoulder and pushed you lightly. "Go to Two, (Y/N). Whatever happens there, I hope you'd get through and reason with my ex-best friend."

"Will do, Soldier Everdeen," you joked, giving her a salute before running back into the apothecary, grabbing your medical bag, and heading out into the hovercraft.

"Excellent!" the Peacekeeper exclaimed. "And what might your name be, miss?"

"I'm (Y/N) (Y/L/N)," you introduced yourself. "Pleased to meet you."

"And I you." The Peacekeeper then headed inside the hovercraft after you, then the ramp was retracted back into the craft and you sped away, gaining altitude as you all flew for District Two. There were no windows, so you couldn't even wave a final goodbye to Katniss.

I'll see her again, though, you assured yourself, sititng down on a bench and looking down at your hands, your feet, the floor. Best friends always keep their promises, right?

************

After what felt like hours, the hovercraft finally stopped and hovered over what you think might be District Two's training camp.

"Go," the Peacekeeper said, nudging you from your sitting position.

You immediately obeyed as you got up, stretched and yawned. After a few good moments of walking around, you felt the numbness go away, and so you left the hovercraft, heading down the ramp that lead you almost right into the heart of District Two.

"Medic incoming!" the Peacekeeper shouted. Apparently that seemed to carry a lot of weight in the district, because soon, everyone was moving aside for you and the officer accompanying you. At one point, a woman stopped you, grabbing your arm, and you lurched backward.

"Thank goodness you're here!" she cried. "I've been waiting for someone for so long to save my sons!"

"Wait a minute," you said, holding your hand up. "Your sons?"

"They were the ones injured in Peacekeeper training," the woman explained. "Of course, my eldest son, Gale, is worried out of his mind. But remember that I'm their mother too, I care about them--"

"Hang on. Gale? As in, Gale Hawthorne?" you asked.

The woman nodded. "Oh, yeah. How rude I've been. I'm Hazelle, Gale's mom."

"I'm (Y/N)," you introduced yourself. "Now where are your sons?"

"Follow me." Hazelle then lead you through the crowded streets until you reached her place. She took out a key and lead you through her house until you saw two young teenagers groaning in pain, their bodies laid on two separate stretchers.

"We don't have many trained medics here," Hazelle explained. "The closest tie we have with a medic is Mrs. Everdeen, but she's in District 4 and as the hospital is still in the process of opening we didn't want to distract her."