Chapter 12~ The Swipe

"Why is everyone calling me a traitor?" you asked Janson angrily, pushing past yet another guard, who had begrudgingly greeted you with "Oh, look, here comes the traitor." He'd been the fourth one to greet you like that, and it was beginning to get irritating.

"Everything will be explained soon enough," Janson replied, not turning around.

You walked through a few more doors before you both came to a sudden halt. The Rat Man reached inside his jacket and pulled out a keycard, which he slid easily through the slot at one end of the door. It hissed open, and you stepped through, into a clean, white room. The only other person there was standing near a stretcher on the far side, covered head-to-toe in a light blue suit. A mask was pulled tightly across their face, so it was impossible to tell if they were a man or woman.

"Come on (Y/N)," Jason pulled your arm gently, and you stumbled the rest of the way in.

"What the hell is this?" you spat, tearing your wrist from his grasp. "What am I doing here?"

"We're not going to hurt you. We are, however, going to remove the chip in your brain that we used to control you... How does that sound?" Janson's hands were out in front of his chest like you were about to lunge and attempt to strangle him.

"I don't want you freaks poking around in my brain! Let me go back to my room!" Before you could make a beeline for the door, however, two large men moved to roughly smash you against the wall, one on either side. "Get off of me!" You yelled, kicking at them -- though you knew it was pointless.

"Now now," Rat Man sneered, lowering his hands and stepping closer to you. So close now, you could see every wrinkle that lined the corners of his mouth and eyes.

"You don't look better up close if that's what you were wondering," you hissed, scowling at him. "Actually, I think it makes you look even older." The subtle smirk on Jason's face fell, but he didn't frown, the triumphant look he'd worn as you were thrown against the side of the room only becoming more apparent.

"Why are you fighting this?" he asked quietly. You wrinkled your nose in disgust as his sour breath washed over you. "I'm trying to help you."

"Right," you chuckled sarcastically, "Taking me away from my friends and imprisoning me? Really? Our definitions of help must be very different then -- or maybe you're just an idiot."

"I'd hold my tongue if I were you girl," He snapped, spit flying out of his mouth in an angry spray.

"Why? It's not like you're going to kill me. If you wanted me dead, you would've done it a long time ago."

Rat Man tsked, shaking his head sadly.

"(Y/N), you don't actually think you're important in all of this, do you?" You shot him another glare but didn't say anything more. "You were never supposed to have gone into the Maze in the first place. You only ended up there by running away at the last minute like the true coward that you are!"

"W-what are you talking about?"

"You ran into the maze to get away. You were afraid. I doubt you'd last a week in the maze on your own."

"I was going to be a runner!" you shot back, not wanting to let Janson think he'd silenced you completely. That would be the same thing as admitting defeat.

"Only because you remembered!" he countered, lips turning once more into a crude, wide grin. "You knew your way around because we'd hardly gotten the chance to fully erase your memories, not because you were clever, or special."

The words stung. You closed your mouth and lowered your gaze to the floor. Was he telling the truth? Were you really nothing more than an escaped WICKED employee? No, you couldn't let him get to you! It was his goal to try and make you feel less than what you were -- to make you want to surrender to him and WICKED.