Chapter 22~ Rose

"You can't get us out of here," Harriet said, banging a fist on the wall. Dust crumbled to the floor, showering Sonya with pieces of the ceiling. She glared at Harriet and brushed it off. James smiled and pulled his big black coat back and off his arms, revealing a very dirty pinstriped suit.

"Well, why don't you start by letting me help you get out of here and above ground?" 

You didn't know what exactly made you want to trust this guy, but you did. You guessed it was nice for someone to take some responsibility in getting these girls back alive and in one piece.

"And how are you going to do that?" You raised an eyebrow and shifted your weight to your other foot.

"Just watch." 

You moved back towards the door, expecting James to get up, but he didn't, only leaned forward and dropped his feet to the ground. "Well?" you asked, starting to get fed up with this guy.

"Well, what?" he sighed and stuck out a hand. "Do we have a deal, or what?" 

Harriet widened her eyes and shook her head at you. "We don't even know him," she told you sternly.

"How else are we gonna get out of here?" you asked after a minute. You saw James smile a little out of the corner of your eye. "We'll see how it goes, but we're pretty much out of options -- besides, he's right," you paused and met her gaze. "We need to get everyone up and out of here. Alive."

Harriet looked about to argue, but then closed her mouth and crossed her arms again.

"We've just met him," she said again, shooting James a distasteful look.

"And we should be lucky we did," you shot back. "We don't have any other way of getting out of here."

"I have men out there," James said, pushing the chair and standing up. He grabbed his coat and shrugged it on again, taking his sunglasses out of the pocket and slipping them back onto his long nose. "They can help us take out the guards." He moved towards and door, and you fell into step behind him. "Who knows? You might even land yourself a few weapons. That's a very handy thing to have out here in the Scorch."

"Wait," you snapped, grabbing onto the back of his coat. "What do we do once we're out there?" 

James smiled. "Just follow my lead." With that, he slipped back outside, you close on his heels. Diving back into the blasting music and thrashing bodies was a bit disorientating, but you shook it off and stuck close to James, looking back every so often to make sure Sonya and Harriet were close behind you.

The group of girls was still clumped together, and you saw a few of their eyes light up once they caught sight of you.

"Sonya, you should go tell them," you said, nudging her with your shoulder. She glanced at you indigitately, then at Harriet, who nodded sternly at her and stomped off, shaking her head as she went.

James was weaving in and out of the crowd, being careful not to be hit by anyone. You got smacked in the face a couple times before you finally caught up with him. He'd stopped next to a guy who was slumped in a corner, a huge straw hat covering his face. James put a hand out to stop you, before going over to the man, and you watched as they whispered together for a few seconds, then nodded unanimously and broke off.

"What was that?" you hissed, falling into step beside him as he walked back the way you had come.

"Be ready," he answered with another sly smile.

"I'm serious." 

He didn't respond, just kept walking.

All at once, a mix of clamoring and screaming broke out, and you immediately glanced up at James, who nodded ever so slightly.