Ch.4

That night, she cried. All her bottled emotions suddenly coming out. She didn't know how or why Dr. Crane had affected her so deeply, but she never wanted to see him again. So she sobbed, curled in a ball on the floor, trying to find a solution.

"Julia?"

"Help me."

"You know I can't. After all, I'm stuck in your head."

Julia sat up and reached for her now cold dinner. She screamed as she threw the food at the white wall across from her. The disgusting spaghetti made a red spot on it, the sauce dripping down. Like blood.

"You know next time you eat, somebody's going to have to supervise you."

In response, she threw the hard roll in the middle of the blood. Bullseye.

Julia was shaking uncontrollably as she stood, admiring the way the water poured on the floor from the cup in her hand. She fell to her knees then, smashing the plastic cup with the tray. Creating jagged pieces of plastic.

She picked one up, still crying as she put the point to her wrist. She still shook as she tried to cut herself. But she couldn't do it. She screamed again as she threw it at the wall. It stuck, quivering.

"Coward." Ragdoll stated.

"Shut up!"

"If only I could..."

Julia fell on her side. She continued to cry as she fell asleep. Dreaming nightmare after nightmare.

Dr. Crane in every one.

...

"I heard about your breakdown yesterday night. Would you like to describe what happened?" Dr. Crane asked.

They were in the same room from yesterday. Julia again strapped down and trying to ignore the doctor's alluring voice.

"Could you use one word to describe why?"

She glared at him. "You."

He nodded. "That was expected."

"Is this guy serious?"

Dr. Crane folded his hands. "Are you afraid of me?"

She hesitated. "No."

"But you are. I can see it in your posture and hear it in your tone. But you still deny it. Care to explain?"

"No."

Dr. Crane sighed. "Well then... We're done in here for today."

"This early?" Ragdoll said suspiciously.

He came around the desk to her, and started to undo the leather restraints. Once finished, he grabbed her arm, yanking her out of the chair, making her almost fall into him at that sudden motion.

Julia struggled to get away. But he had the advantage of strength and height. He suddenly grabbed her other arm, pushing her against the wall.

"Listen carefully." Dr. Crane said slowly. Eyes piercing hers. "You will follow me without creating a scene. I don't need any questions being asked. Got that?"

She nodded frantically. She didn't like being this close to him at all.

"Just fight him!" Ragdoll screamed.

"No. I can't risk it."

Dr. Crane released one of her arms, and proceeded to drag her out of the room with the other. Grabbing his briefcase on the way out.

Julia quickly lost track of where they were going. Arkham Asylum was just too huge, filled with an endless maze of halls. The walls were brown, but splattered randomly with a substance that looked suspiciously like blood.

She was then dragged into an elevator; that went down to the last floor, creaking on old joints. And then dragged down more dark halls. She could feel her arm bruising quickly.

Eventually they reached their destination. Which was marked by a red, faded door. Dr. Crane pushed her through it, locking it behind them. Julia backed up away from him and ran into something cold. She turned and looked down, and noticed it was a table with restraints. She put a hand over her mouth and shed away from it, crashing into Dr. Crane. She struggled in vain as his arms held her tightly to his chest.

"Kick him!" Ragdoll exclaimed.

"I'm trying!"

"Stop struggling. It won't help your cause." he whispered in her ear.

Something in his voice stopped her movements. His voice was sharper, more dangerous.

Before she realized what was happening, she was strapped down on the table. With Dr. Crane standing by her head.

He smiled as she stared at him, fear clearly in her eyes. "Today Miss Heart... I'll give you a dose of a mild version of your medicine. Instead of going unconscious, you'll be awake while it takes affect. This way I can get the answers I need."

He walked to his briefcase, that he had sat on a small table near the door. In the corner of her eye she saw him pull out a piece of burlap.

When he came into full view, he held it in his hands. "Tell me Julia. What do you fear?"

Then white gas filled the air, causing her to cough violently. When it cleared, Dr. Crane was gone. And in his place...

Was a Scarecrow.

...

Jonathan watched through his mask, as Julia started to scream and cry. It was absolutely exhilarating to watch the effects people had when they received a dose of fear toxin. No reaction was exactly the same.

He walked towards her head, causing her to scream louder. "Stop! Please!"

He laughed darkly. "But the fun has only begin."

She fought against the restraints, closing her eyes tightly.

He reached out, stroking her cheek, causing her eyes to open wide.

"Tell me what you fear." His voice was unfeeling.

Julia was now crying uncontrollably. "I-I fear of being a-alone."

Jonathan waited for another minute, but that was all she said. That was it? All of his patients at least had seven fears and up. The list of fears for each person could go on and on. Julia was the first one to have only one true fear. The fear of him was on a different scale. Everyone should fear him.

He wanted to give her the antidote, but held back by his sheer force of will for more answers. He ignored how helpless she looked and pressed on.

"Why do you fear of being alone? You've been locked up for years by yourself!" he hissed.

Julia was losing it. Her eyes darted back and forth. Her limbs shook.

"Tell me!" he yelled.

Suddenly she locked her eyes on his. He could barely hear her as she whispered, "Ragdoll... Ragdoll."

He finally relented, giving her the antidote. Julia relaxed immediately, falling unconscious.

Jonathan took off his mask. He gently touched her hand. He was still trying to piece everything together. Who in the world was Ragdoll?

He listed all the reasons.
- a friend
- a ghost
- an imaginary friend
- a double personality issue

No. None of these reasons sounded right. And he honestly didn't think she was literally insane. He would just need more tests to figure out her problems.

"I'll just have to bring it up in our sessions." he muttered.

And for some strange feeling, he didn't want to see this test fail.