Ch.17

The Masquerade Ball was held at Gotham's most famous ballroom. Decorated with lights that were strung on the the cream walls, among the carved flowers that were patterned along the walls and ceiling. Music was played by a small orchestra group, that sat on a small stage along one wall.

"Are you positive we're in the right place?" Julia whispered in awe.

She eyed the masks the ladies wore. It almost looked like the ladies were having a competition on who could outdo the other. Feathers and diamonds dripped on the edges of the masks, while glitter and paint covered the middle. The men dressed in expensive suits, pretended to listen to their wives and down a drink when they weren't looking. Pretending to be polite only went so far.

"Yes we're in the right place." Jonathan said in annoyance. "What did you expect?"

"Smaller and less populated by idiots."

He chuckled softly at her remark. "Just be glad no one will remember you after tonight."

"Are you jealous that I can wear a mask and you can't?"

"Not exactly. Though it would be easier to come as the Scarecrow and gas the whole place. More eventful than a common dress up ball."

She nodded thoughtfully. She wished she didn't have to wear a mask, but at least she liked the design. It was a full face mask that fit her face perfectly, covered with millions of gold and black sparkles that shined whenever the light reflected off it. The crown that she wore wasn't attached to it, but it was part of the same set, with the same design and with a line of blue and gold jewels circling the middle.

Her dress was black with a lighter gold pattern that looked like snakeskin. She was the picture of royalty. Jonathan on the other hand just wore a nice black suit.

They stayed on the sidelines of the dancing, watching the other folks.

"I bet if you injected that lady with the mouse mask other there... She would be afraid of rodents." Julia remarked.

Jonathan gave her a curious glance. "Let me guess, you're absolutely bored."

"Extremely."

A new voice entered their conversation. "Then perhaps I can ask the lady to a dance?"

She turned and was surprised. "Um... Who are you?"

"Bruce Wayne. And you?"

"Her name is April." Jonathan interrupted.

She had almost forgotten about her pretend identity.

"April, could I have this dance?" Bruce asked smoothly with a minor glance at Jonathan. "Unless you are taken..?"

She was going to respond when Jonathan interrupted again. "Sorry Mr. Wayne. But she is taken." his voice had a hard edge.

Bruce pretended to look confused. "And you are..?"

"That is not of any importance to you. Now please excuse us."

Jonathan grabbed her arm and led her away from the dumbfounded billionaire. She let him take her as she was pondering over what had just occurred.

"Are you jealous?" she finally dared to ask.

"And if I said I was?"

"Then I would personally announce who I am, and wreak the party."

He raised an eyebrow. "This isn't just about jealously, is it? You're just mainly bored."

"Yeah." she admitted.

"I would let you but if I dawned my mask after my argument with Mr. Wayne, they'll most likely find out who I am."

They had just reached a non-populated corner of the ballroom, when Nygma suddenly appeared from behind a huge potted plant dressed in his green suit.

"Don't ask." he said as he almost tripped. "But I heard you might need some assistance, and I would love to help."

"I would love your assistance." Julia said happily.

"Another man falling for you..." sighed Jonathan in annoyance.

Nygma turned to look at Jonathon, with an edge in his eyes. "Hello Crane. Long time no see."

"Too little amount of time Nygma." Jonathan responded in a cold voice.

Julia coughed to interrupt their glaring. "Sorry to interrupt. But I'm going to do this no matter what. But it would be nice Jonathan if you could let Nygma help me just this once."

Jonathan relented after a minute of her staring at him with a pleading expression. "I'll be at your apartment. Don't take too long."

"Of course." she said as he left through the crowd.

Nygma smiled in triumphant. "Now let's have some fun."

Nygma and her ran to the stage, and he jumped onto it, scattering the orchestra members. Then he proceeded to pull out a gun and shoot it three times in the air. "Riddle me this peasants, who is the fairest of them all? Only the beautiful queen Ragdoll."

He pulled her up with a hand, and she took off her mask, keeping the crown on. "Oh look at the lot of you. Rich snobs who live on money from the poor. I have watched you all and have seen who you really are underneath those fake masks. And if I could judge the lot of you, I would say... Guilty."

She tossed a metal sphere in the crowd that released a cloud of fear toxin. She then dropped a regular smoke bomb that obscured Nygma and her. Then they took their leave, managing to just miss the cops as they arrived and tried to help the screaming crowd.

...

When Julia finally arrived home, she was greeted by Jonathan who was getting swamped by Arkham. "How did it go?" he asked as Julia closed the door behind her.

"Good." she paused. "And easier than I thought it would be, since the Bat didn't show."

He nodded subconsciously.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked.

He looked surprised. "Why would I be mad at you?"

"Because I stayed with Nygma."

"I'm not here to control your life Julia. I am here because I..." he trailed off as a slight redness grazed his cheeks.

Her own cheeks blushed as she realized what he was going to say. She sat next to him and took a deep breath. "I... I love you." she finally blurted out.

She turned her head away as Jonathan looked at her. Then she felt his fingers gently grab her chin, and turn her face towards his.

"Julia." he paused. "I want you to know that if we are in a relationship, I will never be like any other normal person. I am uncertain on how to respond with you right now, because I don't know how to respond the way you want me too." his piercing gaze never left hers.

"Don't you realize I am just as uncertain as you..." she whispered. "But I love you and I can't deny it any longer. I love you with all my heart, and I don't want to be like any other normal couple."

He gazed at her with an unfamiliar expression, as she turned her head away. But then turned back with tears in her eyes when she heard-

"I love you too Julia. I've loved ever since I first saw you."

His voice was sincere. And when he leaned in and kissed her slowly, it was full of pure honesty. And she kissed back with all the force she could muster.