Chapter Five- Sour Candy Encounters

A/N: I'M SO SO SO SO SORRY FOR THE LACK OF UPDATES AND HOW IT TOOK OVER A YEAR TO UPDATE THIS STORY! TBH I sort of lost interest in this story and writing in general but now I'm back with a bang so expect more stories, more updates for CCK. Just wanted to thank all those who have fanned and will be sticking with this story! I have so much in store for you all I cannot thank you enough! Also I said I was going to include flashbacks in every chapter, they're only going to occur when it's really necessary. P.S did not proof-read this chapter. Enjoy, toodles x 

SOUR CANDY ENCOUNTERS

With wide eyes, I glanced over to Dustin who had now reciprocated the same expression I held. We were both caught by surprise when Sophie had decided to pop up out of nowhere. Well, it wasn’t like she had anything to worry about anyway, Dustin wasn’t cheating on her with me, he already made it perfectly clear that she was his first choice. 

“Hello Sophie,” I replied, softly sneering under my breath, which she didn’t seem to notice as she was too busy sucking in all the attention that was on her. Sometimes I wish that I would be the girl that turns heads, the one sweet candy in the jar that everyone loved and picked out because they taste best. But no, I was the sour flavoured candy, the neglected one left to sit in the lolly jar until someone wanted to try me. It just wasn’t fair.

“So Candace, when Dustin told me that he didn’t want me to star in his film, I just had to go snooping around to figure out who he had replaced me with, only to find it was you.” The look she gave me was all too sweet, the tone in her voice was one of ridicule, but as I gazed deeper into her eyes, there it was, a hint of jealously that I had been expecting.

In all my years that I have known Sophie (well from pure observations anyway), no girl has had the ability to make her jealous. It was always people getting jealous of her...and right –thank the good heavens- that for once, the tables were turned. She was jealous of me.

“Sophie-,” Dustin began, however was immediately interrupted by his girlfriend who gave him a disheartening look.

“I got angry one time, and apologised! I thought we were okay. And now I find out that she’s taking my spot as the lead role without even consulting me first?” She shook her head in what seemed as utter disappointment. Her voice containing a calm and collected quality to it yet somehow, I began to recognise the betrayal hidden beneath.

“I’m sorry babe, but I did warn you if you’re not going to co-operate, I’m finding a new lead. Candy is a better fit for the film and if I want to get in, I have to sacrifice the lead role to someone who won’t chuck a tantrum every two seconds!” He retorted while folding his arms over one another and offering her a stern look. I could sense the tension stirring up between these two lovers. Could this be their first official fight? Over moi? I know nobody should be feeling this way, but I was...flattered to say the least.

By now, the café patrons diverted their stares on the scene unfolding before them, too engrossed into the unfortunate situation. Reverting my gaze outside the window, my feet planted to the same spot I had been standing in for the past few minutes, I listened intently as their quarrel continued.

“Hey!” Finally, someone yelled from the behind the counter, breaking the drama in the atmosphere. “Quieten down! Or take it outside! This is a café not one of those stupid reality TV dramas!”

This earned a well deserved glare from Dustin and Sophie, only the man was not fazed by this at all. As they went to step outside, Dustin glanced back at me, took my arm and dragged me along with them to handle and resolve the issue at heart.

 “Look Soph, it’s just a film, that’s all! You’re still my number one girl!” He stated, letting go of his tight grasp on my arm in the process. Okay...ouch. That was a punch in the gut. Guess it would’ve hurt a lot more back in High school when I felt so strongly about him. Nonetheless, the jab to my heart didn’t go unnoticed.