CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Start from the beginning

I could leave if I wanted to.

My dad wasn't even here-he was in his office with Nick.

"I don't know," I admitted. "I guess I just really wanted her attention."

"Well you sure have his attention," Rachel said raising her eyebrows.

I followed her gaze and realized that Nathan was standing on the back of the room. He was back in his suit and nodded at me with a smile when he saw me. Just looking at him made me feel better. I looked back at Rachel, suddenly smiling. "He's really something."

Rachel smiled at me. "Why don't you two just make it official?"

I shrugged. "We haven't really talked about it. There's something about seeing him secretly that I really like."

Rachel laughed. "Well you two should talk about it. It is so obvious that he likes you and sooner or later, it will come out."

"Hannah," my mom suddenly called and I looked up at her. She was by the Christmas tree, taking some pictures. "Come."

With a sigh, I stood up and walked to her.

"Stand next to George, I want to take picture," She said.

"Mom-" I began to complain but she was already pulling me by the arm. George put an arm around my waist and I looked up at Nathan. He was glaring at him. I watched as he turned around and disappeared to the kitchen.

"You look so good together!" Lisa said and I saw Rachel roll her eyes, making me laugh.

"Smile Hannah," My mom ordered as she raised the camera.

I tried smiling but knew I hadn't succeeded when I saw my mom frown at the pictures.

"Hannah, where are you going?" my mom asked when I made my way to the front door. "Outside!" I said walking out before she could stop me.

I walked to a little bench we had off to the side, surrounded by trees.

I hadn't realized George had followed me until he sat next to me.

"You seem annoyed," He commented after a moment of silence.

It was dark outside and cold. I had walked out without my coat and was starting to regret it. It didn't even feel like it was Christmas Eve.

"I don't have anything against you," I said looking down at my feet. "I just see what my mom is doing and it's annoying."

He nodded. "Yes, I can tell," He pauses. "So who is it?"

"What?" I asked looking at him.

"It's obvious you have a boyfriend or at least someone that you like. I've been trying to figure out why you haven't told you mom about him."

I thought about denying it but then thought there was no point. I didn't even care if mom found out. I had put up with her little game long enough and I knew it was going to be for nothing because in the end-she was still going to be angry when I told her about Nathan.

"She doesn't even know."

He sighed as he rested his back on the bench. "Well, my mom knows and she doesn't like her because her family isn't rich."

"You have a girlfriend?" I asked looking at him.

He nodded with a smile. "I do. I love her."

"So why are you here?"

He shrugged. "Maybe for the same reason you are-just trying to make my mom happy."

I shook my head. "This is ridiculous. I'm tired of it."

He nodded. "At least I got to meet the famous Richard Collins," He grinned. "I loved his movie."

I smiled. "My dad is kind of awesome."

"He is," George agreed then he turned to look at me. "It's the bodyguard, isn't it?"

I opened my mouth to say something but a hand suddenly clasped it closed. George eyes widened but before he could do something, two men that seemed like shadows, jumped from behind and grabbed him. "Hey!" I heard him scream as he resisted.

Whoever was clasping my mouth closed, grabbed me and pulled me to my feet. I tried to scream but I couldn't hear anything.

"Hannah!" I heard Nathan screamed from somewhere behind me and then whoever was holding me let me go and when I turned around, I realized Nathan had pulled him away and they were fighting. It was hard to know what was going on because it was dark-everyone just looked like shadows. I thought I saw George on the ground. My heart was beating fast.

I didn't know what to do.

And then I saw two dark figures walk towards me and I began to take steps back but before I could take off running, I felt a pang of pain on the back of my head and then my eyes closed as I felt myself fall to the ground.