Chapter Eight: Dice And Signets

Depuis le début

Vlukyn had jumped onto the bar, perhaps so that she could better survey the other guild members. Everyone else that I had come across in the guild, with the exception of Tamira, was taller than Vlukyn.

"Don't insult my woman, you impudent piece of slime," Vlukyn snarled.

"Hey, Vlukyn, isn't that gnome making a rude gesture?" Nilfrasi suddenly asked.

"What gnome?" Vlukyn demanded.

Something scampered off giggling madly as it fled.

"What is that doing inside?" Vlukyn demanded, "They're supposed to be living in the gardens!"

Vlukyn chased the creature around. Neldi appeared when she stepped around a pillar and walked over to sit next to Stelgun. Most of the guild members gave her appreciative glances or knowing chuckles. Hebikage walked in just as Vlukyn crawled under the couch and grabbed the gnome by one of its knobby legs.

"Sorry for being late, Murina. I just got back from the council chambers. That meeting went on all night. Get me a drink, please. Vlukyn, what are you doing by the way?" Hebikage said.

Vlukyn was tickling the gnome, which was kicking its feet and giggling madly.

"I'm teaching it not to come inside again. Last time I was hitting one with a hammer, Neldi attacked me for no reason. I'm playing it safe this way, see?" Vlukyn replied.

Hebikage just sighed and shook her head. She started forward again but found her way impeded by Kelix, who was glaring at her.

"Do you have some kind of problem?" she asked, "Spit it out."

"Why were you chosen to be the guild master? What could you possibly have done for the old master to choose you?" Kelix demanded sounding very angry.

"The master chose me not only because he trusts me, but also because I know the needs of everyone in this guild, including you," Hebikage replied calmly.

Kelix snorted.

"Don't patronize me, wench. You may have been chosen as the guild master, but you don't have my respect," Kelix sneered.

"Is that so? If you wish to challenge me for the position of guild master, I will accept your challenge anytime," Hebikage responded.

"I'm not going to waste my energy fighting you," Kelix sneered, "You are unworthy of such energy and exertion."

"And who would you have as the next guild master, Kelix?" Hebikage asked.

"Murina would have been a much better choice," Kelix said.

"That's true," Hebikage said, "The master did ask her before he asked me, but she declined. Murina and her sister are much happier as barmaids. They didn't want to take the position again nor did Sreldes."

"Guh, Sreldes," Kelix admonished.

"Well, I'm retired," Sreldes said with a shrug.

"You ruined an opportunity to save our guild's integrity," Kelix said.

"I didn't ask you to call me the guild master, nor do I require you to do so," Hebikage said, "Do as you wish."

She stepped around him and walked up to the bar. Kelix watched her go from out of the corner of his eye. He clenched his fists a few times then spun on his heel and walked over to where he had been sitting without another word. I noticed that he walked pigeon toed as he strode back to the bar walking in a particularly straight line. For a moment, I was reminded of a tight rope walker because of the way he was walking in a straight line.