Chapter 10 - Stolen Kiss

Start from the beginning

        "You're being judgmental now..." I reminded her feeling sorry for myself.

        Would somebody except Mommy Carol understand my feelings?

        Even Nigel refused to understand what I felt for him!

        Kara looked at me with confused expression. Then, probably discerning how disappointed I was with her reaction, she grasped her mouth and whispered, "Oh... sorry, Althea..."

        We, then, both became silent. I did not look at her. I just pretended to concentrate eating my meal. We were actually in the cafeteria taking our lunch.

        "I can't understand why..." I heard her say after minutes of silence.

        I cleared my throat. "You'll come to understand when you'll fall in love," I said, still not looking at her.

        "How come you fall in love so early?" she asked in her tiniest voice that she sounded like an innocent baby.

        This time, I glanced at her. I was surprised that she hadn't touched her food. She was, after all, taking this conversation very seriously.

        "I can't tell you why and how.... because I can't even answer it myself. Somehow, you'll just feel it," I replied her with the most honest and truthful answer I could give.

        "Then, I don't want to feel it because it drives people crazy," she said, pouting her lips.

        "You know what? I am actually wondering right now why a socialite city girl like you is Miss Innocent when it comes to love," I muttered, chuckling. Her innocence somehow amused me and brought my mood back.

        "Well, I like boys. I have few crushes but none seems to push me to do crazy things. Oh, please, hope nobody will have that kind of effect on me..."

        "Kara, now, you need to eat," I reminded her.

        "No, wait, I think there's someone who has got that effect on me," she suddenly announced with a very wide smile.

        I became curious, "Indeed?"

        "Indeed," she said, still wearing that big smile.

        "Somebody from here? Or somebody from your high school?" I asked as I stuffed a portion of my vegetable salad into my mouth.

        She gave me a teasing smile, "Oh, there was this really gorgeous guy, yesterday, wearing shades. He was leaning on his car when I saw him at the parking lot and it was like some kind of light emblazed his beautiful face as he glanced my way. The feeling was so amazing I feel like I was..."

        Holy...

        I almost choked. My eyes widened. "Cut that crap! That was Nigel!"

        I heard from Kara the loudest laugh I had ever heard from anybody. The other students in the other tables looked at our direction.

        "Got you!" she gasped.

        "Bitch..." I absent-mindedly uttered. "Are you being serious, Kara? 'Cause if you are, I'm going to end this friendship right here, right now."

        She was still laughing. "Now, I know your weakness, Miss Ruiz."

        "I'm not kidding here," I said in annoyance.

        "You know, that was what I've just imagined you to react. You are indeed head-over-heels in love with that guy. I was just teasing you," she assured, still laughing. "Now I'm convinced you are definitely in love with your Nigel."