I fanned out the paged of my book and pointed to the various bite marks along the pages. "Corners got to it again." Corners was a rat that lived in Setania with Cashmere. He had earned his name because of the fact that he was always munching on the pages of my books. The corners were his favorite. 

"It doesn't look like he got to any of the print dear, it's still readable." Mom smiled pretending to see my delusion.

Cursing him under my breath I sighed heavily and drug my feet to the couch. Plopping in a heap I began to lose myself in my book. I could block anything out whilst absorbing the print like a sponge. I had read for what seemed like forever (but was only three chapters) by the time Nick had gotten home from school. 

Today Nick would be turning fourteen, being two and half years younger that made me eleven. Mom was busy in the kitchen getting ready for Nick's party was starting in just a few hours. I completed my school work due to my nerves with my dread of the night. My stomach felt uneasy with the thought of having a house full of Nick's rowdy, teenage friends. 

As he and James passed me from behind the couch, Nick reached over plucking the hardcover from my hands. "You know, I think it's possible to die from reading too much." he snorted continuing on into the kitchen where he dropped my book on the counter top. Huffing out my nostrils I rolled off the sofa to retrieve my book.

"Nick, be nice to him." Mom said handing me the story back. Pointing towards the backdoor she began rattling off instructions of how the backyard should look for the party tonight. The two boys then made their way to the backyard with very little enthusiasm in their step.

I sat up the bar with my nose still buried in the words of the pages. Mom was trying to pull my attention up for just a second by talking about Dad, but she wasn't going to win this battle. I was so taken in with my story that I blocked her out and I nodded not caring.

Seven chapters later a few of Nick's friends had shown up and they were all in the living room playing on the Xbox when Dad came and ran his knuckle across the bead-board of my bedroom door. "What do you say me and you get out of here before this place goes up in smoke." He had a smirk drawn up on his lips hinted with a laugh. 

I nodded setting my Batman bookmark in it's new place. Eager to spend some time with my dad I stuffed on my shoes and rushed down the stairs. Only to slam right into a boy with blond hair and a disgusted look in his eyes. He looked terrifying, he looked like someone I didn't want anything to do with. 

Slowly backing away I crept over to my dad who was standing by the large wooden front door. "Have fun boys!" Mom called after us as I pulled the heavy door shut.

Dad and I went to Red Robin for a burger and then down to the movie theater for a show. It had been a while since me and Dad had hung out just the two of us, but Dad seemed a little off. I knew he was busy at with work so I figured it had something to do with that.  We decided to call it a night after the movie and go back home. It was late anyways so I didn't mind.

When we got back home everyone was out back throwing a football around. Mom was still in the kitchen, only this time she was cleaning up. "Hey," she greeted me with a smile and Dad with a hug, complimented with a kiss. "How was your night?"  I let Dad take that one and staggered upstairs to finish my book. I had five chapters left and I intended on finishing it before I fell asleep tonight.

Later that night things were getting out of hand. Cashmere kept walking across my chest and Evelyn wouldn't stop nudging my face with her nose. I just wanted to read but that wasn't going to happen. I was going crazy with them mauling me like this. This would happen when I would stay up too late like this. Mom would give me green pills every morning, they scared Cashmere, Evelyn, and everyone that lived in Setainia. The pills would make them hide and I wouldn't see the as often.