Chapter 21

Sora didn't know where she was headed, she was wandering aimlessly in the rain. The rain drops splashed down around her thick and wet, making her clothes damp and heavy. She didn't even bother to bring an umbrella when she ran out of her home. After relating everything that had happened and what she planned to do to her grandfather, Sora's head felt as if it was going to explode. She needed to escape. She half expected for her grandfather to stop her, but perhaps he could see the determination etched across her face. He said nothing as Sora walked out of the house.

Part of her wanted to go to the Harrisons' house and stop them from leaving just by pure force of will, but she knew that was impossible. Instead she walked circles in the rain, contemplating her next move. "I need reinforcements," she told herself while heading towards Katie's house and at the same time texting Mo.

The rain was making her phone screen blurry. Or was it the tears smearing her vision? An unfortunate step into a puddle brought her back to reality. Sora was thankful that she was wearing her biker boots from last night. She shook her leg to remove the excess water and mud, while at the same time she shook her head, hoping to clear her mind. After a few moments, she resumed walking and texting.

She was a block away from Katie's house and had just pressed SEND, when she collided with something hard and solid. Did I run into a wall? she thought right before she landed on her butt, making a big, dramatic splash. She immediately felt the cold water seeping through her jeans and swore loudly.

"That's a big mouth for such a little girl," she heard someone saying, and then someone else started laughing.

She was barely a little girl, being almost 5'10'' and the tallest girl in her whole school, but when she looked up to find a huge stranger standing over her, she immediately felt small. He was a mountain. And from her spot, sitting on the wet sidewalk, he seemed even bigger, as he towered over her. He looked dangerous.

A delicate hand appeared in front of her face and she grabbed it, rising from the dirty ground back to her feet. "Thanks," she muttered and kept her eyes down.

"Are you okay?" the other guy asked and his tone had a hint of amusement along with sincere concern.

Sora looked up to meet his eyes and felt her jaw drop. "Wow," she breathed, and hoped he hadn't noticed her shock, but by the lopsided smile he now had on his perfectly shaped face, she was sure he did.

The guy that had helped her to her feet was shorter than the first one, but still on the tall side, with broad shoulders and strong muscles that made his black shirt stretch in all the right places. His face was, simply put, beautiful. With perfect lips, a light stubble across his jaw, straight nose, and messy light brown hair. By far, his most amazing feature were his steel grey eyes, that were currently staring down at Sora playfully.

Wow, she said inside her mind this time. The guy looked a lot like a model. She couldn't tear her eyes off from him.

"Take a picture, it lasts longer," she heard the huge guy saying, and she knew she was staring. She ripped her eyes off model-guy, and realized that he was still holding her hand. There were no actual sparks, like with Drake, but she was suddenly all too aware of his warmth radiating along her palm. She snatched her hand back, and peered cautiously at the huge guy, who was staring down at her with a broad smile on his face.

"It happens all the time," he commented and shrugged. He appeared to be older than the other guy. While the first one seemed to be in his early twenties, he looked like he was in his late twenties even thirty.

"Sorry," Sora muttered and then turned to leave, but model-guy blocked her way.

"Are you sure you're not hurt? Duke can be very thick sometimes." He motioned toward the other guy. "Literally," he added, still smiling while running his eyes over her, checking to see if she was okay.